Finding Baby bunnies homes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We never had babies, just a bunch of rescued discards. We put up ads at the vets and in the paper. Word of mouth worked pretty good as some of Nancy's co-workers and students adopted after they passed my screening process.

Do you have friends/family? People you can trust with bunnies?

I have a pregnant doe, complete and total accident, i'm not a breeder at all! I have ultimitaly decided that if i cant place the rabbits in homes of people that I can trust, i'm going to suck it up and keep them.

In the beginning I had a lot of friends tell me they wanted a baby, people I could trust. Once I broke it down how i expected them to care for them.. they backed off and now I dont even have ONE person that wants one.. I'm just hoping for a small litter right now, if not.. i'll have my own rabbitry LOL.

I know what you mean.. We were supposed to have 2 girls. But turns out different. So now we have six babies and onley plan on keeping one. But we have just moved and dont really know any one here.

Maybe you could try craigslist? I would interview everyone though, and after if I felt comfortable then I would sell..

We knew we had a female and male. I went out one day and left my kids with my father... that was the biggest mistake ever! My kids wanted the bunnies to "play together" oh they played alright LOLOL! She's due on the 6th.

Wishing you lots of luck!

I see notices for bunnies come through our 4-H newsletters. Our fair has a pet rabbit category which any kid can show in. A lot of town kids wind up with rabbits or other small pets.

If it matters to you what happens to them, you don't want to give them away or sell them cheap, unless you know the person well enough to be certain that the rabbit won't be eaten or used for pet food.

If you know the person fine, but if a potential owner isn't willing to foot the bill for neutering and a vet checkup it does not bode well for the bunny's future.

A common scam for snake owners, amongst others, to get free food is to answer ads for free bunnies.

Contact your local rabbit rescue outfit, they should be able to help place them and give you some tips on how to do it. There are large outfits in Gainseville & Miami (google search 'em) and here we have 4 Lil Pigs n Buns at : http://www.pigsnbuns.org/

BunBuns Human wrote:
If it matters to you what happens to them, you don't want to give them away or sell them cheap, unless you know the person well enough to be certain that the rabbit won't be eaten or used for pet food.

If you know the person fine, but if a potential owner isn't willing to foot the bill for neutering and a vet checkup it does not bode well for the bunny's future.

A common scam for snake owners, amongst others, to get free food is to answer ads for free bunnies.

Contact your local rabbit rescue outfit, they should be able to help place them and give you some tips on how to do it. There are large outfits in Gainseville & Miami (google search 'em) and here we have 4 Lil Pigs n Buns at : http://www.pigsnbuns.org/
I respectfully disagree on this. I have three intacted males and take very good care of my bunnies. I don't plan to neuter them, doesn't make me a bad person. Nor anyone else.

I understand the push on all bunnies being neutered and spayed by the Pet class people. And that's OK, but it should be up to the owner who they sell to. And rescue organizations have enough bunnies of their own to make sure get good homes.

There are good and bad on both sides. But putting a block on people who feel neutering or spaying is not a avenue they want to travel, doesn't make them bad people.

K

I also have a male that is intact. And yes I do care about where they go I'd hate for them to become snake food. It's down to 5 babies that need homes because we are able to keep one of them. And I want to make sure they find great loving homes. They do have an adoption fee to help. And I hope someone falls in love with these cuties.:apollo:

ZRabbits wrote:
I respectfully disagree on this. I have three intacted males and take very good care of my bunnies. I don't plan to neuter them, doesn't make me a bad person. Nor anyone else.

The intent was not to befocused on the neutering issue per se, but on someone willing toprovide proper medical care in general as part of a vetting process for a potential owner.

I'm not sure whether or not BunBun will be neutered, but Booger is going to be for sure. I'm tired of him peeing in my face and he needs to calm down in general.

Advertise anywhere you can, but make an adoption contract.

Important thing to put in it are that if they are ever unable to care for the rabbit anymore, that it comes back to you.

Also, have them depict and share the dimensions of the cage it will be going in, tell what food they will be feeding it, where it will be kept, etc. If something doesn't feel right, either educate or send 'em packing.

I personally feel that there should definitely be a spay clause in there, if not a neuter one as well. As mixed breeds with no pedigree, they should not be bred (put that in there as well). But, ensuring that the does are spayed is SUPER important to their health in much more measureable way.

I forget that they should provide vet references! Call them and make sure they treat rabbits and if they have any other animals that they are up to date on shots.

If their regular vet does not see rabbits or they are first time pet owners, have them give you the info of the vet they will take them to.

You might look at the information that shelters insist on. Mine wanted to know the name of the vet I was going to use, to make sure it was approved. Also that I had air conditioning. You can find good ones on adoptapet.com & petfinder.com. Choose a few shelters that have rabbits & go to their adoption forms.

It might be good to have buyers bring along a photo of their setup when they come to pick up the rabbit, so you can make suggestions [plus be sure they have one].

I do agree with females being spayed as they will live longer. They aren't mixed breeds but they don't have pedigrees. And I do think they should NOT be bred. But I like they idea of taking them back if the person cannot care for them.

Awwww, if we only lived in a perfect world. All those suggestions of cage size, vet names, air conditioning, spaying,contracts for them to come back to you if the bunny can not stay are excellent. But once that bunny leaves, it's the new owner's. Contracts are just paper. Don't mean a thing.And if you do an adoption, will you be checking up on the new owner after the bunny leaves. Contracts can be broken, and can not truly be enforced.

You can only do so much. YouCAN'T MAKE people care for the bunny the way you do. There will be people who will be willing to do that, but others who won't. Doesn't make them bad people if it's not just the way you do it.

K

ZRabbits wrote:
Awwww, if we only lived in a perfect world.  All those suggestions of cage size, vet names, air conditioning, spaying, contracts for them to come back to you if the bunny can not stay are excellent.  But once that bunny leaves, it's the new owner's.   Contracts are just paper.  Don't mean a thing.  And if you do an adoption, will you be checking up on the new owner after the bunny leaves.  Contracts can be broken, and can not truly be enforced. 

You can only do so much.  You CAN'T MAKE people care for the bunny the way you do.   There will be people who will be willing to do that, but others who won't.  Doesn't make them bad people if it's not just the way you do it.   

K

Which is why there is a contract. People who are unwilling to provide that information and sign to that probably won't. And they are the people you don't want to adopt out to.

All of the shelters, rescues, and breeders I know use a contract that has all of the things I mentioned to ensure that they go to a good home. It's not a piece of paper. It's a legally binding contract. Any breech of it is eligible to null the agreement and the breeder or rescue gets the animal back.

Nelsons_Mom wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
Awwww, if we only lived in a perfect world. All those suggestions of cage size, vet names, air conditioning, spaying,contracts for them to come back to you if the bunny can not stay are excellent. But once that bunny leaves, it's the new owner's. Contracts are just paper. Don't mean a thing.And if you do an adoption, will you be checking up on the new owner after the bunny leaves. Contracts can be broken, and can not truly be enforced.

You can only do so much. YouCAN'T MAKE people care for the bunny the way you do. There will be people who will be willing to do that, but others who won't. Doesn't make them bad people if it's not just the way you do it.

K

Which is why there is a contract. People who are unwilling to provide that information and sign to that probably won't. And they are the people you don't want to adopt out to.

All of the shelters, rescues, and breeders I know use a contract that has all of the things I mentioned to ensure that they go to a good home. It's not a piece of paper. It's a legally binding contract. Any breech of it is eligible to null the agreement and the breeder or rescue gets the animal back.

How will this contract be enforced? How will she really know? She wont and it cant. I think that's what K was saying.

I understand your point, which is that it is a legally binding contract, but like i just mentioned there is probably no way to know if they are following the rules unless she dedicates her time and effort into home checks or something of that nature.

BunBuns Human wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:

The intent was not to befocused on the neutering issue per se, but on someone willing toprovide proper medical care in general as part of a vetting process for a potential owner.

I'm not sure whether or not BunBun will be neutered, but Booger is going to be for sure. I'm tired of him peeing in my face and he needs to calm down in general.

Also can't make someone take them to a Vet either. Get a name on your adoption form, sure,but are you going to check up to see if they indeed went?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, just trying to be truthful.

K

My bunny had an accidental litter a year ago, and i knew from the start that i would only give her babies to family members or friends, 2 didn't find homes so i kept them. Even if only 1 sold, i would have kept them all.. i would not want my bunnies going to owners that i didn't know as i like the fact that now i can call round my uncles house or my mates house and see them and know that they are getting taken care of.

Ummm...yeah. both of the rescues I got my rats from called my vet to make sure they went. As have every breeder and rescue my family has gotten my dogs from. I am trying to find a home for my bee now that she os kicked out of the trio and I fully intend to ensure that she goes to the vet.

All it takes is a five second phone call or an email to the adoptive family.

And the whole point of the contract is to make sure that the new owners and the current owners are on the same page for care.

I would imagine that 98% of people who sign the contract and provide all of the photos and information are going to follow through and he truthful. I'd they weren't, they wouldn't sign it. They'd go to the pet store or a byb who doesn't check up.

I feel like an adoption contract is a norm when adopting from a breeder ans just because its an oops litter doesn't mean that you shouldn't screen asopters.

Latest posts

Back