Finding a buddy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetherlandDwarf

Reaction score
I have been looking into the possibility in getting my little netherland a little friend, but at the same time I dont want there to be any jelousy or resentment if i bring another bun home. Im not sure where to begin on choosing a little friend for him or what to look for. My nethie will be getting fixed next monday, i didnt want there to be any hormonal issues. Should i get a little bun his size or does that really matter? Im not actively looking yet, its just has been in my mind that he might enjoy a friend, and i just wanted to inform myself before i make a wrong mistake.

much advice greatly appreciated!

you can house buns of different sizes but I prefer keeping them a similar size mainly because I rescued a nethie that had been partnered with a dwarf lop and she was so skinny cause she was getting bullied away from her bowl :(

The best thing to do would be get him fixed then see what buns are in rescues round about and try a few bunny dates to see if he can find a friend. Give him a couple of months though because they are still pretty hormonal and they still like to get their leg over which can be annoying to the other bunand may mean you won't get a bond so easily :)

I just had this debate with myself over the last month or two. Eventually, we found a little Lionlop girl for him. We did a bunny date, and now he has a little friend. The best option would be to take your bun in to a shelter and let him pick out his new friend. Do a few bunny speed-dates and see which bun yours likes! :)

wow i didnt know that bunny dates were possible, thats a great idea. now with a bunny date im worried about my bun being a bit nervous since he'll be away from his normal surroundings, do you think he'll be too afraid? or knowing there's another bunny will trigger his curiosity? I will wait a few months before i start getting serious about possibly finding him a buddy, so he'll recover from his hormonal changes to be safe.

I kind of was relying on that fear. I put Toby in the car, let him panic in there, then plopped him in the tub next to Emma at her house. He was so shaken from the car ride, he snuggled right up next to her. On the car ride home, I put them together in the car carrier and they huddled next to each other for comfort. I think it really helped the bonding process along!

In the end, that little bit'o'fear can make your rabbit behave a little better. Being that they are not on their turf, they can't be aggressive in defending "their" territory, if that makes sense? :)

Latest posts

Back