Finding a breeder in California

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSLiu02

Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering if there were any good resources anyone could point me to towards finding a breeder?

I'm mainly looking for breeders in California that specialize in Otter colored Netherland Dwarfs or Mini-Rexes with black eyes. If truly necessary, I could also fly, though I would limit myself to only neighboring states as I think more than that would be too unfair to the rabbit.

I was planning on getting a spayed female Black Otter Mini-Rex first, then I'd sleep in the same room for a week with the HEPA air filter running to see how my allergies hold up.

If I am allergic regardless of the fact that it's a Mini-Rex, I'll bite the bullet, go on allergy medication, and get a neutered Male Black Otter Netherland Dwarf to be her companion.

If my allergies are bearable I'll recontact the first breeder and adopt any male Mini-Rex rabbit from the same litter that the breeder felt my rabbit was close to. (I'd ask this question when first adopting the female Black Otter Mini-Rex. Then I'd pay half the cost of whichever rabbit picked if the breeder would be willing to hold it for me for that period of time.)

If there is no rabbit that the female Black Otter Mini-Rex was close too, I'd find a Mini-Rex that I liked from a local animal shelter and adopt him.

Also if the rabbit I'm looking for does not exist, then I'll try to coordinate with various breeders and wait until one comes along.

Thanks for your help. Any information on local Netherland Dwarf and Mini-Rex breeders is much appreciated.

http://arba.net/National Clubs.htm

Look for the specialty club for the breed you want and then go to their site and look at their listing of breeders in your state.

Good luck!

Is there any way to keep the rabbit in a room other than your bedroom? I think this will give you the most chance of allergy success because you won't be breathing in the fur for 8 hours a day.

Otherwise, good luck finding your bunny!

elrohwen wrote:
Is there any way to keep the rabbit in a room other than your bedroom? I think this will give you the most chance of allergy success because you won't be breathing in the fur for 8 hours a day.

Otherwise, good luck finding your bunny!
I wasn't going to sleep in the same room forever with him. I was going to do it in the first week because I'll want to see how much it could aggravate my allergies if I did everything to aggravate them.

Also, in the first week he'll be scared and won't trust me. I probably won't pet him until I gain his trust and because of that I won't be able to test my allergies as much. So to try to understand his affect on my allergies I'll do everything I can while working around that.

WSLiu02 wrote:
Also, in the first week he'll be scared and won't trust me. I probably won't pet him until I gain his trust and because of that I won't be able to test my allergies as much. So to try to understand his affect on my allergies I'll do everything I can while working around that.

A well raised, well adjustedrabbit should not have issues trusting you. Look for a breeder that handles their rabbits from birth and acclimates them to human contact.

And if the rabbit does have issues trusting you, you should keep him in another room so he willadjust gradually to your presence. Sleeping in your room is subjecting it to your constant presence for at least 8 hours a day. May be rough on you as well as him.

BlueGiants wrote:
WSLiu02 wrote:

A well raised, well adjusted rabbit should not have issues trusting you.  Look for a breeder that handles their rabbits from birth and acclimates them to human contact.

And if the rabbit does have issues trusting you, you should keep him in another room so he will adjust gradually to your presence.  Sleeping in your room is subjecting it to your constant presence for at least 8 hours a day.  May be rough on you as well as him.

I agree with this.

Also, I think you should just spend a lot of time around rabbits before getting one and see how your allergies react. If its worse then you think, maybe a rabbit isn't your best bet. It sucks, but thats the truth.

Latest posts

Back