Fey and Oberon fighting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
I don't know what started it, but this morning Fey and Oberon were in an all-out, no holds barred fight!:shock: Thankfully James was home. He literally tore the NIC cage door down to get to them, taking some of the woodwork with it.

Both buns are ok. There's lots of fur on the floor but no broken skin. They are separated of course, Oberon is back in the walking space in the bunny room. James said he has laid down by Fey's door, but Fey hasn't gone near it.

We're trying to get vet appointments for them, just in case an undetected health problem caused the fight. The vet office is supposed to call us back to let us know whether they can squeeze us in tomorrow, as they were full up today.

Anyone have any ideas? They've been living together for almost two weeks with no problems. Oberon can be a bit pushy but has been well-behaved and loving. Fey is very gentle and not aggressive at all, until somebun goes way way way past her limits and then she turns into a demon. I've only seen that happen twice. Once when Mocha attacked her and literally ripped her stomach open, and the first time we tried reintroducing Fey to Sprite after she had healed up from that incident.

My poor buns. I'm so worried.

I hope they are both ok, its good you are getting them checked out.

a simialr thing happened with badger, sandy and sunny, they were bonded for a short while and then things went veyr pear hsaped. maybe its to do with the dominance shifting as one bun gets more comfy with another? i dont know, to be honest, but its' definitely not just yours.

That happened with my two Holland Lops, Pej and Buster. They went through a long bonding process, then they lived harmoniously in the bathroom for a week and a half. I was just about to move them back to their roomwhen a big fight broke out. I have no idea why. The other two times I bonded a pair, once they bonded they never fought again.

Did you eventually succeed with Pej and Buster, or did you have to keep them separated? I don't know how I'll trust them in the same cage again.:(

I'm so sorry this happened to you! And them!:(

This is why I am so afraid to have mine bonded. We work all day each day, what if something happened and we weren't home?:shock: Wouldn't be good.

maybe you could work on bonding them (if you chose to do it again) and only have them together when someone is there and keep them separate otherwise. so just like play mates. but start with really slowlyt, i guess.

we did this with the dopeys and cloud, and it worked famously in the end when we did feel safe to put them togethr, we are about 3 weeks into the bond and its going ok.

I was by my mother's house today and her two dogs went at it like this. I think it's dominance with all animals - you probably have two very strong willed bunners.

Bo and Clover are like this so they are only playmates and then they sort of play "around" each other.

I haven't tried re-bonding Pej and Buster. I started focusing on Sherry when she got her abscess and just didn't have the time to commit to it. I might try again though. As Bo B Bunny said, I think both of mine are quite dominant.Buster would never give in to groom Pej and I think eventually she got mad.

I think you should try again, though. I've had Pej and Buster living next door to each other, sharing a wall, and that's going really well.

Oh wow - I'm so glad James was home!! I'm still scared sometimes because I see Misty charge at Charlie and I wonder if there would be something to set her off.

I say just start over and only let them have time together when you guys are home and stick to that for a while. :( But don't give up. Let them have some time apart and let Fey get over it I guess...

Nadia

i wnder if it could be something to do with sprite. you started bonding them pretty wuickly after she died, if i remember correctly. maybe Fey used Oberon to help her thorugh ehr grief snd maybe now she is done grieiving she is ready to be top lady or something like that? Or maybe Oberon sensed some sort of change in her with regards to that (obviously i don't know who is dominant so im shooting in the dark).

I agree with Nadia, give her some time to get over it and start again, if you can face the stress that is.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I think I might start rebonding after a couple of days or so, we'll see. I want James around in case they fight again.

I just got back from the vet, they're both fine. Oberon only weighs 8.5 lbs!:shock:

Peanut and Rex had a few really awful fights, and they were always related to food aggressiveness.

*fingers crossed for successful re-bonding*

Ok, so update on the boogers. I've let them play together in the living room twice now, with no access to their pens in the bunny room. Sometimes they're ok, sometimes Oberon gets snippy and chases Fey away. She just wants him to lick her. No cuddling, and they seem a bit nervous about each other but not seriously aggressive.

After talking about this a lot with James, we think it might not be possible to ever have those two living together. Oberon is very self centered. Yes he likes to cuddle and be groomed, but on his terms only and he doesn't give love back. It might be something he could learn in time- Loki did. But Loki wasn't this aggressive with Mocha.

Don't worry, Oberon will always have a home here. I just can't give him up, and although James let me make that decision I think he'd be really sad to see him go. I just think Oberon may have to stay a single bunny, which he really doesn't seem to mind. If they both behave then the play dates with Fey will continue but I don't expect them to bond fully. Especially since I don't know how I could trust them with my back turned.

We are talking about doing a bit of remodeling so that Oberon can have his own pen that doesn't block our access to the other bunnies. That might mean reflooring what is now the computer room, moving the bunnies in there, and using the current bunny room for the computer. Whatever works. After that we might look at finding Fey a more mellow husbun. For now she'll just get lots of attention.

Aww Im so sorry this happened Angela. My first thought was that one could have been sick or something.

I understand your concerns, but I dont think I would give up yet. I think I would wait a while and try bonding them again. Or could you separate Fey's area into two areas that could be combined when youre home and divided when youre away?

I could split Fey's pen, but it would be too small for Oberon.:?

If they get along fantastically well for a really long time, I might consider trying to have them live together again. I'm a little more optimistic but James is very much against it. You weren't on the forum then, but we both remember rushing Fey to an emergency vet an hour away in Milwaukee because Mocha had ripped a huge gash in her stomach during bonding.

Latest posts

Back