Ferguson's netuer news! And--found an orange tabby...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetiora

Reaction score
Well Ferguson's neuter went well. I was worriedabout him the day after because he didn't do anything almost, the poordear. But now he's hopping around, eating, playing and just being hisusualy bunny self. :D Now I just need to wait for him to recover fully:)

In the meantime, I've somehow aqquired a 5 week old orange tabby. Myfriend found him in the middle of the road (no joke!) and since shecouldn't afford to keep him I told her I'd take care of him. He's 6weeks old now and has already been to the vet and received a clean billof health. His name is Fitts (what is it with the F names?). Now Iwould like to be able to introduce Fitts and Fergy to one anothersometime. Maybe in a week when Ferg's stiches are far better healedthan they are now (it's been 1 week now roughly) they can start toreally interact.

Now I've tried searching the forums on introducing cats/kitten andrabbits but I haven't really come across anything that's step by step,and with Fitts being a kitten I'm not quite sure just how to containhis energetic-ness so that he doesn't get excited and hurt Fergy. Fittsis VERY interested in Fergy because he moves around a good deal andhe's something new. Fergy seems to have a mild interest in Fitts butisn't scared of Fitts at all. The thing I'm scared of most is thatFitts will scratch Fergy with or without meaning to so I'm VERY nervousabout putting them together....especially since Fitts isn't largeenough to fit in a harness :(

If anyone has any links or advice I'd be greatful (or maybe just abetter formula for me to search for things on the forum ;)). I'm notsure if Fitts is in a forever home right now but how he reacts withbunny will be a definate test in determining whether or not I'll haveto find him a forever home other than with me :? Bun is number one inmy life and was rightfully here first so any pet that can't interactpeacibly with him will have to (sadly) be found another place to go.

It's great if you get a cat while it is stillyoung to bond with the rabbits, but at that age kittens aredeveloping their skills through play.

Five weeks is extraordinarily young, and little Fitts will bemissing out on critical social interaction and learning from his mom. Iwould suggest reading up on cat behavior and communication, because youwill need to fill in that "mom" role for Fitts. This site is a goodplace to start: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Stalking, chasing, grabbing, wrestling - kittens have tons of energyand their focus is usually on bringing down their "prey". Fitts does'thave any littermates to beat up on :p, so you'll want some interactiveprey-type toys for him to hone those skills on, as opposed to yourbunny.

Not to say that a kitten can't learn to be gentle and affectionate withrabbits, most can, but interactions should be closely monitered, withthe rabbits having a cat-free place to escape to, and the kitty havinga fair amount of extra play time.

I had a litter of foster kittens that got along fabulously with our twobunnies, and two of those kittens still live with us :), I'm definatelyan advocate of bonding cats and rabbits, I think you will likely havegreat success.

Here are a couple more links:

Cat Forum

Feline Paradise

Cats and Rabbits - House Rabbit Society

And if you have any more specific questions, I'd be glad to help :cool:

PeanutandMiko1.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the links M.E.! Now I jsuthave to find the time to read them all! eeep! At least Fitts was 5weeks when we found him. The last kittens we took in were at 2-3weeksold (maximum--they could barely walk and still needed bottle feeding!)so he's been easier to take care of than the previous kittens! :)

Hmm, well questions I would have right off the bat are when should Istart officially introducing the two? Right nowI sorta let Fitts out toplay in my room, however when he gets near bunny's cage he generallygoes into a pounce stance or he just sorta paws at the cage (at whichpoint I pick him up and tell him we do not like the taste of bunny :p).

I know it seems silly but a step by step tutorial would be great. I'mhorrible at improvising -_- I wonder if some of the "soft paws" nailcovers would be good for keeping Fitts from scratching Fergy--thatswhat I'm most worried about at this point. Fitts has already scratchedat one of our other cats....of course that might be because Bristol(the cat he scratched at) is another cat. ~_~ Good grief, if this iswhat children are like I think I'll pass.

For now I guess I'll keep trying to sift through all the wonderfulsites you pointed me to but any step by step information/advice wouldbe great too! Thanks a million! :D

Goodness yes! Eventually I do plan to get someup...as soon as I can find my camera :shock: But yes, I WILL uploadpictures! :D Hopefully of Fitts and Fergy interacting peacefully ;)

Latest posts

Back