Fergie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrybuns

Reaction score
So I have been taking the babies about for a few hours a day more and more as I get ready to wean them they were 5 weeks yesterday. Yesterday when I checked on Fergie before putting them back I noticed she was building a nest with hay in her mouth. I put the babies in and she started circling and humping one of them. Is she looking to mate with her babies now? I put them back ina seperate cage for the night because I was afraid someone might get hurt. I woke up this am and she has a nest built where the old nest had been built. Jasper was fixed the day that the kits were born and I have kept them seperated for the 3 weeks that the vet suggested so what is she doing?

thanks Briana. one of the babies has poopy butt now so I am really worried about it. I am going to supervise some time with momma to see if she will atleast feed them so they don't end up with enteritis

It sounds like she may be pregnant again. When were the adults removed from each other? When was he neutered? And what date were they put back together, if they were?

The babies should probably be weaned if she is getting fussy with them. 5 weeks is pretty early, but it would be better for them. I have one doe who's like that and I have to separate her kits at about 5-6 weeks of age. Just make sure to offer them lots of hay to help with the transition.

They were never housed together it was an accident and then I didn't let them see each other again until 3 weeks after his surgery as directed by the vet. They kept going to each other's cages at playtime so I let them see each other after the three week mark. He was neutered the day the babies were born.

She's probably just showing dominance - with the mounting at least. My does will occasional mount their babies when they're older. As for the building a nest/carrying hay, she could probably just be having a phantom pregnancy since she and the buck saw eachother.

Emily

man so I guess everytime she sees a male she is going to go through this!! She is such an old grouch too. I don't want to spay her though because I am unsure of her age and after losing Vinny I will never do an adult neuter or spay again.

I thought it is about six weeks after a neuter to keep the male away. I even know of people that would say 8 weeks. My vet said 4 weeks but I kept to 6 just in case.

my vet said three but I only let them say hello I didn't leave them alone I just let them hop in the kitchen together while I watched for a couple minutes. She stopped nesting so I dunno what she was up too.

This is her first litter right? All I can think of is that her behavior is the combination of the male coming into contact with her (rabbits are induced ovulaters (sp?)) and caring for babies. :O Lets hope her lack there of nesting means she's calming down. How is she with her babies?

other than the humping incident she has been an amazing mother. She cuddles with them and even plays with them. They are now seperated for the day and then I put them together in the evening and take them back out over night because I think they are stressing her out a bit and at 5 and a half weeks they don't need to be with her 24/7 anymore. Becoming a mother also made her a better pet lol which surprised me but she loves attention before where as before she was nasty and grunted at us even when I was just trying to giver her some excercise time.

Latest posts

Back