Female rips out males hair and sometimes eats it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequin

Reaction score
So, my fixed male rabbit, Annon sometimes humps our female, Echo, which is apparently a dominance thing...

But then sometimes she will grab his fur and rip it out, occasionally eating it. He seems to sit around for a small amount of time, then tries hopping away from her when she does this. Is she also trying to be dominant? Or does she want his attention? Because she sometimes tugs on clothing too, but she isn't so violent about it. Also, she hasn't been fixed, and may not ever be because of her health.

Chewing off fur, also called barbering, is done for one of two reasons. Either a dominance thing like you said, or a diet thing. Sometimes rabbits who chew off fur do it because of a lack of fiber.

I would guess with your two it's probably related to dominance because they are still trying to work out who is top bun. Keep a close eye on them so it doesn't turn into a fight. Your girl could still get grumpy being that she is not fixed. I'm from the mindset that you can't consider two buns bonded until they are both fixed. If her health problems prevent that, then just keep a close eye on them.

It can vary so much depending on each rabbit. I took just under a month to bond my two. I've read stories where bonds happen in a few days all the way to 8-9 months. Also, it's not unusual for them to assert their dominance every once in awhile. Humping, for example, can happen randomly even in bonded pairs.

If only we all could speak rabbit.......;)

Latest posts

Back