female rabbit personality when hormones hit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redestarrosa

Reaction score
hi,

i know i got lot of time before my little girl is ready to be bred and all

right now she is a sweet 6 1/2 weeks old 2/3 holland lop.

she looks like all lop except her ears haven't drop yet (if it drops) both of her mother and father had lop ears, and her mother looks all lops even if she is only 1/2 lop , her father is a holland lop

she is really sweet and give me kisses and comes up to me for attention, she even laid her head on my pillow for a couple of minutes.( i sleep on the floor)

would her personality really change that much when puberty hits?
would she still be a sweet thing? even if she have babies?

i was told by other ppl that once my female rats have babies, they wouldn't want to be with you and would have different personality compare to before having babies, but my rats are still sweet and still want attention from me

i want to work on lionhead lops

i seen various websites on them

i got associate degree in biology, i was studying pre-vet animal science but recently switch to secondary education, i want to teach biology and art...

i took animal reprod and genetic classes, i find genetic interesting class,

in the fall, im going to take another version of genetic class,

i am curious about developing a breeding program for lionhead lops,
im curious about what methods some had used

example is like the F1, F2 etc and breeding F2 back with either father or mother
i want to learn more about that

Evenstar

redestarrosa wrote:
i am curious about developing a breeding program for lionhead lops,
im curious about what methods some had used

example is like the F1, F2 etc and breeding F2 back with either father or mother
i want to learn more about that

Evenstar

Pam gave you a great website for linebreeding.....and since I considered breeding lionlops I'll share some of what I understand about it.

First of all - may I ask you how much cage space you have to devote to this? I'm asking because when I talked to people and looked into this - I realized it would take me a LOT of space - more than I wanted to devote to a lionlop program. Plus, I also realized that lionlops will NOT be a recognized breed in the US - I've talked to several people who know more about this than I do and they have stated that if (no..think positive Peg...WHEN) lionheads pass all three presentations and become a breed - that will be it. Other color varieties will be able to be introduced....but lop eared lionheads will not be allowed.

Anyway - here is my understanding of breeding lionlops. You need to have both the lionheads going and the lops going...and you have to have enough of each breed to keep breeding them back and forth. It seemed like a very complicated process when I talked to some people and I realized I would need at least one breeding pair of dm lionheads and 1 breeding pair of lops...and it was actually preferably to have two pairs of each I think for taking the little ones back to them....I don't remember for sure. I remember thinking I wanted two pairs of each so they wouldn't get too inbred-but I was paranoid about that...

I wish I could be of more help - but after I looked into it, I decided that I would wait until I had my lionheads established and felt I was breeding good quality lionheads...and then I would buy some lionlops and bring them in rather than starting from scratch. It is just too hard to do....and of course it would be even harder for you since your rabbit isn't even full lop!

I'm not trying to be mean or discouraging and if it sounds that way - I do apologize. But I would encourage you to pick one or the other and breed some of that - and then bring in a pair of lionlops to breed with what you have - rather than developing your own.It may cost a bit more in purchasing the rabbits...BUT...it will cost you less isn the long run for feed, etc. while you're trying to build your own herd.

Peg

redestarrosa wrote:
hi,

I also wanted to add one more thing....from my own experience. I have done mixed breed breedings before - and it is much much harder to sell or rehome the babies than if you have a pedigreed rabbit. I did two litters with our holland lop Puck and a NZ mix doe Jenny. The babies are/were adorable (they're all gone to new homes now)....and I did it because no one within 130miles that we knew of did lops and I had requests for lops.

However, we decided to go ahead and get Puck a Holland Lop girlfriend (Milina) and in fact, she is due in the next 24-48 hours now!I already have people waiting to hear what she has - she is chocolate and he is broken black otter (and carries chocolate). You can bet if I get a broken chocolate - it is staying here!

Anyway - I just wanted you to really think about this before you breed your doe....will you be as able to find homes for her kits as you would if they were purebred.

In our case...we're going to try to rehome Jenny (she's such an awesome mama though). But we feel like it would be better if we worked on purebreds and they would be easier to get homes for!

Just my thoughts...based on our experience...

Peg

P.S. I do commend you for thinking through all this before breeding!!! I really respect people who do their research and I'm so glad you're asking questions..

yes, that makes sense, start with one or the other, perhaps i should get Boogie neutered and get a male holland lop... start out that way for awhile

Boogie got too much hair anyway to be of a Lionhead quality that the standard calls for

he is mostly wooley, not in breed of wooley but still got masses of hairs, soooo cute anyway!! :)

maybe in couple of months, i will get a male holland lop, after i get Boogie neutered

i will get the male from the same breeder cause i like the way she handles the babies from very young age

thanks for the line breeding guide

the way i am, i tend to do researches before i commit to something,
my aunt used to say that i got a bit of OCD cause i would research on different kind of tv before i buy one, i would read like crazy on what is inside of the tv, the components that is, and what other pplopinions on a particular brand, and which is best for low price, not cheap cheap but not expensive either...

my g-ma used to own a kennel, she used to raise all kind of dogs thru-out her live, and mine considering that she adopted me when i was two

i used to help her.. my job was taking care of the dogs, and her job was the business side, and even giving dogs shots

:shock:

hehe :)
Evenstar

TinysMom wrote:
redestarrosa wrote:
hi,

I also wanted to add one more thing....from my own experience. I have done mixed breed breedings before - and it is much much harder to sell or rehome the babies than if you have a pedigreed rabbit. I did two litters with our holland lop Puck and a NZ mix doe Jenny. The babies are/were adorable (they're all gone to new homes now)....and I did it because no one within 130miles that we knew of did lops and I had requests for lops.

However, we decided to go ahead and get Puck a Holland Lop girlfriend (Milina) and in fact, she is due in the next 24-48 hours now!I already have people waiting to hear what she has - she is chocolate and he is broken black otter (and carries chocolate). You can bet if I get a broken chocolate - it is staying here!

Anyway - I just wanted you to really think about this before you breed your doe....will you be as able to find homes for her kits as you would if they were purebred.

In our case...we're going to try to rehome Jenny (she's such an awesome mama though). But we feel like it would be better if we worked on purebreds and they would be easier to get homes for!

Just my thoughts...based on our experience...

Peg

P.S. I do commend you for thinking through all this before breeding!!! I really respect people who do their research and I'm so glad you're asking questions..

I recommendsetting aside about 30 cages when working on a new "project". Depending on what your goals are, it can take about 6 years to develop new features in a breed that will consistently breed true.

It involves a lot of money, patience and culling to develop new breeds/varieties.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I recommendsetting aside about 30 cages when working on a new"project". Depending on what your goals are, it can take about 6 years to develop new features in a breed that will consistently breed true.

It involves a lot of money, patience and culling to develop new breeds/varieties.

Pam

OUCH! 30 cages?

Pam, I'm working on brokens because I want to file for a certificate on brokens in 4 years and 2 monthz (for lionheads). Will I really need 30 cages for this?Or are you talking about when working on a whole new breed?

Peg

i just basically want to start out really small,specially since i am going to college and living in an apartment, i want to start out with a pair.... perhaps i should get Boogie neutered and get a purebred holland male... that would be easier and mess with new breeds later after i graduate from college

my female rat just had 14 babies on this past Saturday. 14!! that is the most she ever had since she started having litters, but it will be her last one tho, i already gotten the father neutered and i will have Little Bill the hairless rat neutered when payday comes

i love watching little bitty naked thing starts to get pigments, hairs, eyes opening, starting to walk, and play! all this takes about 3 weeks, by 4 weeks the babies rats are ready for a home, by 5 weeks the boys and girls would have to be separated cause they will be sexually mature by then..

Evenstar

TinysMom wrote:
pamnock wrote:
I recommendsetting aside about 30 cages when working on a new "project". Depending on what your goals are, it can take about 6 years to develop new features in a breed that will consistently breed true.

Pam

OUCH! 30 cages?

Pam, I'm working on brokens because I want to file for a certificate on brokens in 4 years and 2 monthz (for lionheads). Will I really need 30 cages for this?Or are you talking about when working on a whole new breed?

Peg

A new breed or looking to be competitive in a particular variety or breed. If you want to file for a COD, I'd recommend the 30cages. You'll need a goodnumber of animals to choose from for the presentation and those in following years as well as having enough to supply other breeders who may be interested(affidavits must be filed by other breeders to show interest in the new variety/breed).

Pam

pamnock wrote:
A new breed or looking to be competitive in a particular variety or breed. If you want to file for a COD, I'd recommend the 30cages. You'll need a goodnumber of animals to choose from for the presentation and those in following years as well as having enough to supply other breeders who may be interested(affidavits must be filed by other breeders to show interest in the new variety/breed).

Pam
Ok - one more question. I'm 4 years and 2 months away from being able to file...do I need the thirty cages now? Or closer to that date?

I hadn't realized I would need THAT many...wow!

Peg

I'd certainly begin the project now and have your breeding program well under way before actually applying.

Pam

Latest posts

Back