Female or Male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shananagrams

Reaction score
So I have only ever had male rabbits, and they were never neutered. Now that I have my 8 month girl, she is planned to be spayed for March. I know that she is a female and it's very obvious.

However, my recent adopted bun Penny has alot of lumps and bumps including her massive dewlap and her "skirt."

She was taken to an exotics vet by Petco (I work at this store...I know, I know), and the vet said she is a healthy spayed female.

I was doing my weekly check on the buns and noticed that Penny has some small flaps by her lady parts. I know that neutuered buns will retain the extra skin but most of the skin will tighten up where there were once testicles. I can't get a picture since Penny is still new to us.

Any opinion on these "flaps?" I can't tell from pictures etc online if she is male/female. I know she's old, could that play into "extra skin" in that area? Any tips for sexing a rabbit? She won't be going to another vet appointment until February so in the meantime I'm curious.

if you could manage to take a picture of the actual genital area on penny (opened up as though you were sexing her), I'm sure one of the knowledgeable breeders we have around here could make a positive ID on the gender.

It's really hard picturing what your saying in my head. Older females definitely are noticeable and have a definite taco shape when you sex them.

Get someone else to carefully hold her on her back. Try not to let her fight so much by holding her very stern and hold her against the chest if she gets too antsy. Then you can check her parts or take pics or what have you. You might want to just start out slow and get her used to what your doing. Make sure to give her breaks if its taking longer but pictures would definitely help

Im still torn between male and female. Although, she humped me tonight. Like five times in a row.

Also, I just check their parts, and they looks identical. Both female.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back