FEMALE OR MALE??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBYnPANCAKES

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm just curious what everyones thoughts are on which makes the best bunny a male or female? I have to males now and was just curious what females are like or how they differ. I've always been a male animal lover more so than female. Are female buns more likely to be cuddly or lay on you and like always be around you? My males aren't like that much at all. Anyways would love to hear your thoughts and comments :]

All bunnies are different! :)

But I'll tell you my experiences :p

My first bunny was a girl- Solara- I did NOT want a boy. (I've always been a female animal lover XD When I had cats- they were always girls... so were most of my dogs. I have a boy now.)
She was the sweetest thing ever <3 Always licked me and loved to be pet- but hated to be picked up.

Then I got a boy bunny- Sabriel- because I was going to bond the two- and he was soooo sweet (though I feel that that is the dutch's personality) and let me hold him- loved to be pet- licked me sometimes.. I can even hold him like a baby! He's always the favorite when people come over- but he used to be a bit nippy.

Once I bonded Solara and Sabriel, Solara got all antisocial and now she doesn't really like to be interacted with at all (hardly ever even lets me pet her unless another bun is around).

Yet, when she went through her hormonal time- she did not act up at all!

Anyways, then I got a two-year old, just neutered Flemish Giant male. He was sooo sweet, I had to have him. He begged for pets, came when I called him, licked me, but HATED to be picked up... Over all he's turned out to be very lovey and sweet, just a bit nippy.

(Now I'm letting all three interact- and strangely Sabriel and Silas get along better than Solara and Silas do XD)

So I have no clue really to as which are better :)

Though- it does seem that most boy buns seem friendlier. At the humane society- it's usually the boys that are more likely to come to the edge of the cage and say hello :'D

Personally, I think it is more about the individaul rabbit than sex or breed. I have had 2 males and 5 females (not all at once). The males have been friendly, but one of them (Korr) has only stared being really loving since Penelope died (they were bonded). My other male Sean was more people oriented and just loved to be pet and would tolerate it well. My female have been friendly and like interaction. Some have taken more time to warm up to me.

The way the rabbit is raised from birth can make a difference. Lillian has been one of the most friendly rabbits I have met. She will want to be held and cuddled and love pets. She acts more like a dog than a rabbit. Her breeder spends a lot of time with her rabbits when they are very young and works with them to get them to be very people oriented. I really do credit her with hoe friendly Lillian is. Of course, the Giant Angoras and quite friendly anyway a both I have had have been wonderful and special.

What sex you choose depends on what you prefer. If I get to choose my next rabbits gender and don't need to worry about bonding, then I would like to get a male. This doesn't mean I won't get a female in the future.

I think with rabbits gender is more of a personal preference than anything. I have never really seen a big difference in personality between males and females. I've met just as many cranky and loving males as I have females. I see a lot of bunnies with my rescue work too. Breed can play a big part, IMO.

Example; I have a Netherland Dwarf.

They are commonly hyper and known to have attitude. He is both things, no doubt. All Netherland Dwarf's I've met so far are this way, more so or less. I've noticed Californian's are very laid back and human orientated. I've noticed Lionheads can be more high strung and reactive. This is all generally speaking. I agree with the above too, the individual rabbit is really what matters. No two rabbits have the same personality.

Hard to say. We can give good and bad examples of both sexes from several breeds. The most territorial bunny we had was less than 5 pounds but would not tolerate any other no matter the size and was female. The other side of the coin, we have a 17 pound checkered giant that thinks she's a lap dog--rub her while she's in your lap and you have a job for life. We had a little male Mini-Rex that was just the same. We had a male Seal-point ND that was a Holy Terror. Just think it depends somewhat on how they are raised coupled with their natural disposition.

In my experience with my male and female and with many shelter rabbits (and drawing from friend's experiences) males tend to be calmer and more affectionate (or at least more accepting of affection). Females tend to be bossier and more territorial (though spaying often helps this part, it can be ingrained in some).

My two generally follow the trend - my female is absolutely the dominant bun and is quite bossy. She's brave and loves to explore while my male lays around and waits to see what she does. They don't follow the trend because my male doesn't like to be petted and my female looooves pets. So every bunny is different, but I think most follow at least some aspect of the gender stereotype if not all of it.

I also think the differences are far more apparent if you have a pair than a single bun. If you have a single and are just concerned with human-rabbit interaction, you may not see much of a difference, except that females can be a bit more dive-esque (if that makes sense, though there are plenty of divos out there). With a pair, I think the difference in genders is much more apparent as you see how they really interact with members of the same species and there will usually be some gender related behavior, even in fixed buns (and usually it results in the female being dominant and bossy; haha).

I don't think either is better, but I think they're definitely different and can fit better with different people. I definitely get along better with the laid back male personalities than the feisty females, but there are plenty of people who love the girls because they're feisty.

Latest posts

Back