Female not breeding. *Ideas please*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy

Reaction score
Hi, I have been breeding french lops for over a year now and never had any problems with mating until now!!

I have a doe who is now 9mth who I am trying to breed for the first time. I took her to a friends to use her proven stud and for all his trying she would not lift her backside for him. We tried to gentally lift her and holding up her tail but with no luck, so put it down to the travelling. Anyway shes home now and had time to settle back in from the journey and I have tried her with my proven buck, but same thing again!

Shes not nasty with them at all, but she will not lift. Ive now run out of ideas, but need to get her mated up quickly before she is too old.

Any ideas appreciated,

Kelly

Could it be the time of year? Rabbits traditionally start their mating season un Januray, so maybe she just feels it's not right? Or maybe she needs to be in the mood? We had a doe who had to go in the bucks hutch without the buck there before they met otherwise she would just sit down. We had another one who on the first day they met wouldn't let the buck near her and would run and run, and the next day would always let him hop straight on, so maybe you need to find what works for her?

Thanks for that Pam, my rabbits are all housed in a shed but I do have lights that come on at 4pm and go off again at 9.30. I will keep trying and keeping my fingers crossed.

Kelly

A couple of things I have done wtih reluctant does are switching cages with the doe and buck, so that the doe is around his scent constantly for a couple of days. Or you can try putting her in with him and leaving them for afew hours, but you need to be able to supervise in case of fights.

I have also heard taking her for a car ride can help put her in the mood, but it sounds like you've already tried that. I hope some of this helps, I know how frsutrating it can be when a doe you really want kits from won't breed! I have a chinchilla Mini Rex doe that i paid $75 for and waited two months to get, and then she wouldn't breed at first, and when she did the litter didn't make it. Very frustrating!

Whoopeee! Congrats! Let's hope it's successful! :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back