female? male?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartiefudge

Reaction score
hi there..new to this today..was surfing the net and came across this site...need help!!

my children have 2 rabbits they are 12/13 weeks old..when we bought them we were told they were both girls..today i put them in the outside run..and one of the rabbits started to 'hump' the other rabbit....they are both in the same cage...have we got 2 girls or are they one of each...do girl rabbits 'hump' (sorry cant think of another word)
we have had them for about 7 weeks and have always kept them together

Hi! Females will hump each other when they get to be breeding age (when they want to breed). They'll also do it to show dominance.

HOWEVER...it is also possible that the breeder made a mistake. Check out this thread with links to information on how to check your bunnies for yourself to see what they are...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12064&forum_id=17

Peg

Edited to add: 12 to 13 weeks is a bit young for them to want to breed (depending upon what breed they are) - but it is possible! Also - male rabbits will hump each other to show they want to breed and express dominance too.

Your rabbits are entering the "puberty" age when they are teenagers. Their behavior will probably start changing because of their hormones (no matter what sex they are) and you will want to consider having them neutered to help their temperaments AND help them live longer lives.

i am going to get them neutured but in the meantime...if i separated them now would that upset them...can rabbits be happy on their own...the cages would be near to each other

I have 3 rabbits, all of which are house alone... (mind you I am trying to bond 2 of them now) so, yes, your rabbits can be happy alone, I know all mine are happy! :)

thanks for the replies...i will probably separate them...they used to be really friendly but now one of them goes crazy when i try to pick her up and wont let me get near her:(.....i guess the sooner i neuter them the better....also one of them is a lot quieter than the other one..although she isnt too keen on being picked up, she will let us eventually. i was just worried when one started to hump the other so i am definately going to the vets to check on their sexes...

my only worry now is that they are 2 different sexes...could one of them of gotten pregnant this young???

If you have a boy/girl combo, there is a slight chance the girl could be pregnant. The smaller the rabbit, the sooner they sexually mature. Most boys have testicles by 4 months, and although most girls aren't fertile till about 5 or 6. But, there are always early bloomers.

If they are opposite sexes, watch the girl very carefully for nesting behaviour, blood or straining (pushing).

Separating them till they can be spayed/neutered is probably a good idea.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back