Female is a male? Maybe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemisslacie

Reaction score
Okay so I was definately warned by a few of you to check Reese to make SURE she was a girl when we brought "her" home. However I checked her and then I checked pictures on the internet and I was confidant in saying she was a girl.

So Lacie is a little drama queen and can't be picked up or anything but I managed to get her on her back today and noticed that she looks different than Reese and now Im like 99.9% sure Reese is a boy. lol. We had a vet appt for Thursday and I called to see if we could get it earlier and they saidno that they were too busy :(

Soo.. Reese is an almost 9 week old male? And has been living in the same cage for a few days with our 13 week old female?

At what age can Lacie get pregnant? And what should we be doing right now?
I know we definately need to seperate the cages but should we do that right away? And once we seperate them can we let them out together as long a we watch?

Any adviceregarding this subject would be a great help!! lol

Thankss!!
Lyss, Lacie & Reese!

Seperate! Not sure she can get pregnant but he can try.

Hey there, well at least Reese is a boyish name! hahaa... I would be very careful at this point your girl is not quite old enough to get pregnant if your sure her birthdate is exact. It's just not worth the risk because if she does breed to early she could die from the trauma. At least these are things I've read. I would find anything even a box or something to create a second cage in or run out to the store and buy one to separate them in the meantime. Also keep in mind that your bucks still fertile for up to 2 weeks after his surgery. As far as letting them run around together, bunnies are fast at everything including mating... you could blink and it would be done... so I just made little circular runs out of wire mesh from lowes that allows them to run and bond between the wire. hope that helps!

Okay thanks everyone!
Luckily we have two nice big NIC cages :) so we don't have to worry!
and yeah we picked the name Reese because it could work either way haha even though we were pretty sure Reese was a girl to begin with we knew there was a chance.
Awwe it just sucks that they are so bonded I hate to seperate them lol they eat, sleep and cuddle together all the time :p

Better to seperate then deal with babies! At least you found out early.. I've heard of sooo many situations where people check when they are just young, and then leave it.. and WHAM! So I'm always sure to warn people well in advance so they don't wake up one morning and find an unplanned surprised!

Darn Gender Fairy! ;)

Edit to add - Oh, and it is extremely risky to have them out, so no run time together. Even if you watch, it takes less than a second for one to bolt and mount, then not much you can do about it. So even if you are careful, they can be determined little things, so will find a way somehow. Best to keep them 100% seperated untilat leastone (perf. both) are fixed . And if you get Reese neutered first and keep your girl intact, you have to wait for a month or so incase some residue is left over in his system.

Okay thanks!
:) I bought some more NIC cubes and made two runs so they can still see eachother and sniff through the bars :)
Both of them are sched for their surgery in the middle of august so we'll make sure to keep them apart till september-ish
:( just seems so long from now lol. Oh well :p

oh and yeah thats how reese ended up.. the owners bought another "female" for their current bunny and got a surprise haha
But I cant say im not happy about it :D
They're really good owners too! I msg'd them just to let them know they should recheck the other ones before adopting them out and they asked if we wanted to switch! but we love him and we're bonded now so I said no way :p

When I got Zeus I was told he was a girl. For three months I called her Zosia. When I took her in to be spayed, the Vet got a suprise! Zosia was a boy! He was cryptorchid...or...not 'fully descended. Even the vet didn't know the little one was a boy until the incision.

Males are actually fertile up to 6 weeks after a neuter. Also, you want to make sure they can't get to each other through the bars. Bunnies can be very motivated and have been known to mate through bars before.

Latest posts

Back