Feet problems - pododermatitis/sore hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oy_

Reaction score
I was just wondering how this is treated and how to know identify this for definite? Are there any other problems that can occur with the feet that present the same symptoms? Product-wise, I'm in the UK.

Hi!
This thread has a lot of good pictures.
Here is our Library link on sore hocks.

They look like sores on the heels of the back feet. They can be caused by long nails, particular types of flooring (everything from carpet to wire to hard surfaces), and genetics that case the rabbit to put more weight on the heels of the back feet. Rex bunnies are also more prone to it due to their type of fur.

I like to use a hand creme that is also used for cow udders, called Udderly Smooth. Other types are Bag Balm, Udder Cream, etc. I don't know if that's available in your area, but another good option is triple antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin. It should be the kind that doesn't have any pain killer in it. It's not as good as the udder stuff, but it will work.

Thank you for the links tonyshuman :) I'll also look into those treatments.

Can sores/scabs present on each foot still be pododermatitis/sore hocks? She is a rex rabbit and kept in an enclosure with a wood floor covered with wood shavings. With regard to the long nails, how long should their nails be? Some do look long to me, but I don't really know a lot about rabbits. If anyone has any photos that would be very useful.

The rabbit is at a place I volunteer. Is there anything in particular I should do apart from apply the treatments you suggested and how often? I usually just go in on a Saturday, but I'm willing to go in extra.

Thanks angieluv. I don't have a picture of her feet, but the scabs/sores aren't just at the back of each foot, some are at the front too. She has dark nails, so I'll have to be careful and trim a small bit at a time.

angieluv wrote:
You mean the front bottom of the feet not the top of the foot... right ?

Yeah, that's right. Sores/scabs on the bottom of every foot, not just at the back but also the front of the feet.

For sore hocks Sudocrem can be really good, however, that doesn't sound just like sorehocks, to be honest.

Oy_ wrote:

She is a rex rabbit and kept in an enclosure with a wood floor covered with wood shavings.

my sympathies - roxy my otter rex doe has suffered from this. thanks to my brilliant vet and other rexers on this site, her hocks have healed. i now use chippings in their toilet area, the rest of their accommodation is lined with fleece and cotton sheets. both buns and lining are regularly checked! Tesco, Primark and Poundland all sell cheap fleeces and sheets so it's not that expensive a lining if it gets torn.

mine have the dark nails too so i know what you mean about clipping! the only way i can see what im doing is to use hubby's torch that you wear around your head - it's a white light that shows up the nails and quick easily and leaves your hands free! he got it from B&Q. it's a godsend for bun maintenance:biggrin2:

rex,s have dainty little feet,with a thin fur covering,./.an overweight rex will place its weight accordingly on its rear feet-wearing down said fur-whereas a spot on the bottom of the foot will form,.depening on the seriousness of the over weight determines how deep this spot is-thus-creating sore/bloody hocks,..to keep the diet in check,- feed daily-70%fiber(timothy/orchard grass)-low fat-pellets 1oz.per#,anthing else is a treat,.as for toe nails if you cut them yourself,-with the proper trimmers,..know where to cut,-only trim off about a quarter inch,otherwise there will be bleeding,.sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back