Feeling overwhelmed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandy,

Dont feel that way *hugs* you are a wonderful bunny mom and thats why you're doing this! you know those buns will live the good life and you can get updates on them!

Maria (awesome name ;) ),

I keep going back and forth and back and forth. I dont think I can do this. I'm already way too attached. They just dont deserve a shelter and I wont do that to them. When we first got Oreo (our 2nd bun) my mom told me "Your 2 will turn into 4" lol I ignored her, and look at me now!

i'm just going to deal with it. i mean, these are my pets, and i think i would just torment myself daily if i gave them away. no more pets though! we wanted another dog and thats just not possible now lol.

Autumn,

Nope, he's not playing me, the kid really sucks with smells and textures lol.. and he wont go near peppermint, he says "it burns". No more Playstation! Took it from the living room and put it in my room.

Unless you get all the females spayed, they are better off at a shelter, in my opinion. There are some good shelters out there that take at least as good care of the rabbits as does the average rabbit owner. I can't imagine Florida weather being ok for rabbits. A shelter would be 100 times better. Let the professionals find new homes.

Well, you could try ads in a vet's office, or unclehenry's, and have you ever heard of a bunny barn? I don't know if they're expensive, but that was the first thing that came to mind... it can be really helpful because it has SEPARATE play runs and cages that the rabbits just go around however they please, but its all inside this little barn-thing... hard to explain, but i hope this helps!! Maybe there's a good breeder that you know of that could take the bunnies? Where did you get your adults? :hug2: i hope all goes well!

LakeCondo wrote:
Unless you get all the females spayed, they are better off at a shelter, in my opinion.
How so?

The local shelter here only spays/neuters bunnies that have been adopted (right before they leave the shelter) Many more are euthenized due to space constraints.

There has been a lot of great suggestions here, but I would just like to reiterate that you have time. Don't rush into a decision just yet. And also, don't discount craigslist completely. I found my bunny through craigslist because it was really the only place I knew to look. There *are* good people out there who know how to and actually want to take care of a bunny. If you do decide to try craigslist again, don't just put an ad up...disclose how you expect your bunny to be taken care of and suggest that you would like follow up pics/emails. Then make it clear that if they aren't willing to do that, then to not waste your time because you won't let them adopt. Heck, I might even make up a contract that says they have to give you updates every month for the first 6 months or something. If you come across like you mean business, then it might help to weed out the weirdo's and flakes. Just another suggestion, but please remember to take your time and weigh all of your options. Good luck! :)

I don't think bunnies should be kept outside in Miami. Just my opinion. They would not be better outside vs being rehomed.

Shelter would be better. I'm sure there are shelters that do spay AND are no kill shelters too.

Otherwise, there are alot of good suggestions, craigslist, vet office ads, etc.

Point being is that you have said you don't have time so rehoming these bunnies needs to happen. Just my 2 cents.....

luvthempigs wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:
Unless you get all the females spayed, they are better off at a shelter, in my opinion.
How so?

The local shelter here only spays/neuters bunnies that have been adopted (right before they leave the shelter) Many more are euthenized due to space constraints.

I meant rescue group, not shelter, but you truncated my quote so it no longer meant what I wrote. A good rescue group, such as Red Door in Chicago, neuters asap every one of the rabbits it take in. They remain there for the rest of their lives if no one ever adopts them. They aren't kept in cages all the time, either. The volunteer staff knows each rabbit well. There are get-togethers & parties for the families of all adopters & adoptees.

Yes, I would say a rescue would be better than a shelter, even a no-kill shelter. As lovely as "no-kill" shelters sound, if they get too full, they'll often send their animals to a shelter that does euthanize the animals that aren't adopted. What about your local humane society? Ours keeps their animals with foster homes until they are adopted, I believe it functions separately from our shelter.

The not having time thing happens to everyone from time to time but that changes :) Lucky for all of our pets or otherwise they would have been rehomed already ;)

I'm a bit surprised by the people who claim to know or at least *think* they know that there are so many shelters out there who have the space, time and knowledge to take in an unlimited number of unwanted rabbits. I'm not so convinced it's a reality although I would love to believe it.

Maria, Patty (slavetoabunny) is involved with rabbit rescues in the Florida area. Maybe she can help with some suggestions if you do decide that surrendering your bunnies is what you really need to do (only you can make that decision) For now I really hope you re-think it.

LakeCondo wrote:
luvthempigs wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:
How so?

I meant rescue group, not shelter, but you truncated my quote so it no longer meant what I wrote. A good rescue group, such as Red Door in Chicago, neuters asap every one of the rabbits it take in. They remain there for the rest of their lives if no one ever adopts them. They aren't kept in cages all the time, either. The volunteer staff knows each rabbit well. There are get-togethers & parties for the families of all adopters & adoptees.
Shelters a in FL are so overwhelmed that rabbits are being shipped up east because the rescues do not have room for the bunnies. :(

LakeCondo wrote:
Unless you get all the females spayed, they are better off at a shelter, in my opinion. There are some good shelters out there that take at least as good care of the rabbits as does the average rabbit owner. I can't imagine Florida weather being ok for rabbits. A shelter would be 100 times better. Let the professionals find new homes.
Okay, Here is your entire post. I don't see how you think I changed the meaning of it by leaving some of it out :? Not here to argue though just have some relaxing chat time about the bunnies.

luvthempigs wrote:
I'm a bit surprised by the people who claim to know or at least *think* they know that there are so many shelters out there who have the space, time and knowledge to take in an unlimited number of unwanted rabbits. I'm not so convinced it's a reality although I would love to believe it.

An even worse misrepresentation of what I wrote. Of course I said nothing about an unlimited number of unwanted rabbits or about so many shelters. Just that they're not as terrible as the ones that you are aware of. Thank goodness I don't live there.

Just a note from my earlier posts. I couldn't do it. I was so depressed on Friday thinking of giving up P&B. My husband is also a secret softie who doesn't want them to go either. I am going to help my friend find a perfect bun that is in need, just not mine.

LakeCondo wrote:

Better off at a shelter.. meaning rather than with me or rather than me find homes?

Thats not very nice Orlena. I take very good care of my rabbits. I highly doubt ANY shelter can provide the love, attention, goodies, and everything I provide for mine..

Maria,
Have you had any luck getting a rescue group to do a posting on petfinder for you? The babies are so sweet I'm sure you would find a great family(s) quickly.

Also, do you have a local pet store that might let you post a flyer?

Don't let grumpies get to you :hug:

I was frustrated and upset when I wrote this post. As of right now i'm not actively looking for a home for any of them.

I'm still stuck at what to do, so i'm not doing anything yet. I wont go the shelter route... I just couldnt. Like I said, if I cant find GOOD homes then I will deal with the stress and keep them.

At my house they are being loved, fed, cared for.. the bunnies arent stressing.. only me lol.

I have a guy that asked me if my buns were ready (he had been asking for preggo updates lol). He was thinking about getting one or two for his daughter. She is 16. He is going to talk to her and see if she's willing to care for the rabbit the way I expect them too..I should know in a few days...

MiniLopHop wrote:
Maria,
Have you had any luck getting a rescue group to do a posting on petfinder for you? The babies are so sweet I'm sure you would find a great family(s) quickly.

Also, do you have a local pet store that might let you post a flyer?

Don't let grumpies get to you :hug:

Thanks Brandy :wink

I really havent done anything to help this situation. Not that i've been lazy, just very hesistant... so i'm sitting on it.

There are a couple pet stores I can try..

I'm just so i dont know now.. i do, i dont, i do, i dont. lol

I totally understand! I was feeling very similar, but when I found a good home I discovered I couldn't let go. I just got so depressed I was crying at work thinking of going home and them not being there.

I would not be shocked if you decided to keep them all. You can always complain to me if you need support :)

Latest posts

Back