Feeding schedule?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
What is your feeding schedule with your bunnies?

I know to have fresh hay all the time, I figured I can replenish hay in the mornings before work, or at night when I get home, based on how much is there at the time.

When do you feed pellets and greens? morning or evening? At the same time, or at different times?

Also, is a treat or two a day okay, given it's in small quantities, or should I avoid giving daily?

I wake up go to my bunny room give them 1/4 cup pellets *will lower them*, then give them hay while they're eating food & sweep then in the afternoon refill hay boxes again, then at night give them veggies.

And it dwpends which treat if its a trear like carrot it shouldn't be given daily as high in sugar or if its like a oxbow treat then yes but I would perfer once a day

I wake up go outside change my buns water then give them there salads then fill up their hay racks, in the afternoon I give them 1/2 of pellets each and let the run around on the grass for about 1hr each (I have over 11 and only 3 day cages... I'm getting more soon) I them fill up the hay racks and kiss the buns goodnight and repeat in the morning :)

MC Bunnies what do you mean you give them 1/2 of pellets?

I have two 11 week old holland lops. they get unlimited pellets since they are babies so I get up in the morning and fill their bowl with pellets, and fill their water and give them a couple large handfuls of hay. after dinner I repeat this. I give them a tiny treat (a itty bitty piece of banana a couple times a week) and only a couple leaves of greens once a day. if i give them more than that they will poop too much cecal.

Yes but what's better is if you go buy product from oxbow that are meant to be given daily ex: Joint care,Heart health,etc. So that you can give them daily! If you have a etsmart they should have them and yes I would say 1-1/2 a day of those strawberry treats

What is your feeding schedule with your bunnies?

I know to have fresh hay all the time, I figured I can replenish hay in the mornings before work, or at night when I get home, based on how much is there at the time.

When do you feed pellets and greens? morning or evening? At the same time, or at different times?

Also, is a treat or two a day okay, given it's in small quantities, or should I avoid giving daily?

In the morning I get up to feed my bun 4 tablespoons of pellets (thats roughly what he is suppose to be eating). I do health checks and I check how he does on hay (they eat more at night than day) and I usually refill it to make sure he has unlimited hay. In the evening I feed Oscar veggies. Right now I am starting to feed him watercress, spring greens and curly kale. This is usually the time he turns into King Kong, so you can tell he loves his veggies. He doesn't go as crazy of pellets but he still does run around with excitment. I feed him treats (natural healthy treats like dried papaya and some pellets) when I'm training him which is only a few times a week. I also give him treats while I trim his nails and when I was giving him his medication for his eye (which is now fine yay!). That's my usual day :D

Last edited:
My buns get their pellets in the morning (or when my partner wakes up if I'm running late), salad at night, and fresh hay all day. Papaya enzyme tablets before they're tucked into their cage for bed, and a couple of treats during the day. :)

Bandit gets 1/4 cup of pellets daily but divided into two meals so daily he gets:

- Unlimited hay, topped up when required.
- 1/8 cup of pellets at 5am on work days, by 9am on non-work days
- Early-mid afternoon he'll get some leafy greens, maybe a whole salad or just a few leaves from the garden
- 1/8 cup of pellets 5:30-6:30pm
- If I'm using carrots for dinner, I'll cut Bandit a 0.5cm slice as a treat
- 1-3 craisins at night when he goes into his cage for bed time (between 8-10pm)

My bunnies are given fresh hay and greens in the morning at around 6.30am.

They are in outdoor playpens during the day so they also have access to grass.

Afternoon at around 3.40pm they get a hay top-up.

Finally, at night, they are given their pellets (all my rabbits have different amounts), more hay and a little treat because I feel bad putting them back in cages ;)

They also have water all the time :)

Back