Feeding Frozen Veggies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby

Reaction score
Is this ok in small doses? I wouldn't want the frozen veggies to be a staple or anything, but, it would add a diversity, and I often find that when I buy frozen veggies, we never eat them (I'm personally not a fan of them AT ALL).

I would be concerned with the lose of nutrients when frozen. I have heard when you freeze veggies, you lose some of the nutrients but I am not 100% sure that is correct. I personally wouldn't feed frozen veggies.

Amy27 wrote:
I would be concerned with the lose of nutrients when frozen. I have heard when you freeze veggies, you lose some of the nutrients but I am not 100% sure that is correct. I personally wouldn't feed frozen veggies.
I agree. Fresh greens like mustard, parsley and cilantro are good ones! Fresh in produce isn't too bad price wise. It it's warm where u are in summer time, grow ur own too! Although, my last attempt at parsley failed terribly..:grumpy::p

i was wondering this. not BUYING the veggies frozen, but buying fresh veggies and freezing them for storage untill i can get them to my buns?

I wouldn't feed them frozen veggies AT ALL.

You guys need to learn to like veggies, or find smaller amounts to give to your rabbits. They honestly do NOT need that much in veggies.

I think I recall it being mentionned for those really hot summer months. They were to used more as a treat though since they didn't have the same nutritional content but they were supposedly good for cooling down a bun and just giving them a treat. Frozen fruit was the same thing as well.

I guess it's pretty pointless for now though... Lol

Feeding frozen treats isn't exactly bad for your rabbit as opposed to feeding them something raw and fresh. (In other words, it's not going to harm your rabbit to have something frozen. It just wouldn't be as beneficial as something fresh would be.) Yes, freezing can take away some of the nutrients, but not all of them. If you still want to feed frozen treats, I would suggest fruits instead of veggies. Vegetable, especially leafy greens don't do well being frozen, and in fact you'll just kill them by sticking them in the freezer and you'll end up with a pile of black mush. Berries especially can still keep most of their nutrients when frozen. I don't think it's a bad idea at all to feed frozen treats (in small portions) to your rabbits when it's hot outside.

Latest posts

Back