Feeding Enough?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*nepo* wrote:
Pam is Nepo fat? He weighs almost 5 lbs(I weighed him a month ago) and he is 9 months old. He eats 1/4 of acup of pellets and unlimitedtimothy hay and water, sometimeshe eats half a cup of pellets. Here is a picture:

Too Cute! He doesn't appear to be obese in the photo -- butit's very hard to tell without actually touching him. Sinceindividual rabbit's weights vary widely, it's difficult to use hisweight in comparison to others even of the same breed.

The amount of feed he's getting sounds good as long as he's in good condition.

Pam

Gabby wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:
I'll work on a pic soon. LOL! He's a bit miffed atme right now. I got the butt in your face a few times todaycause I once again came home with the smell of other bunnies on me!:shock:
hONESTLY!! HOW COULD YOU??? cheating on bo like that forSHAME!!!!! LOL
I know, I'm such a mean mommy! Loving on other bunnies for a few minutes each.... :(

He forgave me tho. He chinned me a couple of times last night and then licked me and snuggled next to me. :D

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I know, I'm such a mean mommy! Loving on other bunnies for a few minutes each.... :(

He forgave me tho. He chinned me a couple of times last night and then licked me and snuggled next to me. :D
i'm sure the thoughts of "here let me make you mine, let thatevil beast just smell you belong to me, ad well if you cheat on meagain i'll just eat you" lol(ok that come from a site where they madeup jokes about what rabbit body language means , chinning wassaid to say *you are mine and some day i'll eat you* LOL

LOL! That's about right!

Bo is in a stink today! I got the Timothy based pellets from Oxbow....he doesn't like them much...... he'll get used to them but he's beenbegging his little butt off all day. He's so starved andneglected LMAO!

When I refuse to give him treats he will hop over to his hayrack andtake a single piece and eat it like "well if this is all I get..... "LOL!

*nepo* wrote:
Bo, I don't think you should give Bogreens every day, at least twice a week.
Actually, there are many differingopinions on bunny diets. One that seems quite reasonable and I believehave a lot of followers here on the forum is limited/measured pelletseach day, unlimited amounts of timothy hay and a helping of greens fromthe "approved" list each day. Sebastian is usually on thisdiet although it is more difficult in our area to give him a variety ofgreens during this time of the year but he does get greens every day aspart of his diet. I've done quite a bit of research on this and itseems like a reasonable diet for a pet rabbit. Though I can see why itwouldn't be very practical for a breeder or one with a large number ofbunnies. I believe the House Rabbit Society approves daily greens aswell, but I'd have to go check...

Raspberry

Raspberry's right, there are very differing viewson diets and many of us follow the more 'man-made' diet of pellets andhay. No one really knows which is better and the arguement that rabbitseat all natural stuff in the wild is not a very strong one.

Rabbit's in the wild rarely live to be 3 years of age, so it's not really conclusive.

But on the other hand, no real proof that pellets are better either.

A few of us sit somewhere in the middle of both, balancing out naturaland man-made. In the summermine end up with a lot more of anatural diet because they grass, carrot greens, raspberry leaves,dandelions,carrots, the odd raspberry, etc. right out thegarden and no harmful chemicals.

But no right or wrong, it just depends on what you believe.

P.S.- Yes we actually grow dandelions for the bunnies.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
P.S.- Yes we actually grow dandelions for the bunnies.
That's so sweet! Most people are trying to kill the things, and you grow them for the greens. :)

pamnock wrote:
*nepo* wrote:
Pam is Nepo fat? He weighs almost 5 lbs(I weighed him a month ago) and he is 9 months old. He eats 1/4 of acup of pellets and unlimitedtimothy hay and water, sometimeshe eats half a cup of pellets. Here is a picture:

Too Cute! He doesn't appear to be obese in the photo -- butit's very hard to tell without actually touching him. Sinceindividual rabbit's weights vary widely, it's difficult to use hisweight in comparison to others even of the same breed.

The amount of feed he's getting sounds good as long as he's in good condition.

Pam
He is in good condition, so I guess I should'nt worry. :)

honestly as long as your rabbits are healthy andhappy, I don't know that it matters what you feed them as long as whatthey get is good and not rotten or spoiled. I base mine on my rabbitswhat has worked and grown old age rabbits for me.

of copurse there are foods a person should not feed, tht are clearlynot good for them, but others comes down to opinion..I don't feed myguys gassy foods, as IMO it leads to stasis. we each make achoices on what to put into our furkids mouths, just as each parent ofa human child makes that same decision on what makes a good meal fortheir human child..

Not to mention no 2 kids or furkids are the same, what may work for one may fail for another....

Gabby, you are so right! Bo is doingvery well and I had been trying some foods on him that cause gas(brussel sprouts, green pepper) and I realized.... What for? He loveshis cilantro and romaine and could eat that forever I think...... sothat's what I get him most of the time! If he needs a little variety, Iget him parsley or leaf lettuce or kale.

I feed what is comfy and recommended by his vet. He seems fine and I don't worry.

Emmy isn't fat..she's just chubby.I feed her 1/4 cup of pellets everyday! But when the next morning comesshe just jumps for the food like she hasn't eaten for 70 years! I amgetting worried that i'm not feeding her that much!

On my pellet bag it said..

Small Rabbit: 1/4-1/2 cup per animal
Large Rabbit: 1/2 - 1 cup prt aninal
[[ andjust accordinaly ]]

When it says Small and large rabbit..does it mean like of theweight or the size of the rabbit? Emmy is small in size..but not reallylarge in weight :?Can someone help me out?

This is just a very general guide from the ARBA Domestic Rabbit Guide Project Book:

2-3 oz. for small breeds (2-6 lbs.)

3 1/2 -4 oz. for med. breeds (6-9 lbs.)

4-8 oz. for large (9-11 lbs.) & (Giant 11+ over)

Most publications that I have generally recommend 4-6 oz. per day for medium breeds.

It's important to evaluate your rabbit daily to be certain that it isgetting enough feed. This will also help you identify healthproblems early. If the rabbit feels thin to you -- then it isprobably not getting enough to eat. If it feels heavy andobese when you pick it up, then trust your instincts -- you areprobably overfeeding.

Each individual rabbit will have different requirements.

I take our show rabbits out daily to check their condition and run myhand over the breeding rabbits. When I run my hand over, Ishould not feel the spine, and the flesh should be firmly and evenlycovering the bones. Loose flesh, such as over the shoulders,may indicate that the rabbit is over weight.

Pam

Latest posts

Back