Feeding confusion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustiechick

Reaction score
Hello. I have a female spayed Dutch rabbit named dusty. She is 1yr 5 months and a little bundle of energy! :p I have been feeding her routinely for probably a year now. And no problems or any health concerns (knock on wood) but I have been reading some things online and I've been wondering , have I been doing it wrong?

-I fill her bowl twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening.
- I have a double bowl (two bowls attached to each other one bigger one smaller)
-in the bigger bowl I give her a generous handful or Timothy hay and in the smaller bowl 1 1/2 tablespoons of Timothy based pellets.
-then throughout the day kinda randomly as treats for being friendly and good she gets around 2 small fresh fruit/veggies ( this is usually a slice of banana, a blueberry, spinach leaf, cherry, parsley ect ect whichever we have in the fridge :p

Lately vie been reading that pellets are bad for digestive health because the rabbit won't eat hay, and they can get fat off pellets. But my rabbit eats all of her hay and pellets before the next bowl fill. Should I change anything?

What you are feeding sounds fine. Make sure that hay is available 24/7. A rabbit's hay supply should never be empty.

Pellets are still good for the rabbits, as most of them are actually balanced diets (at least the reputable brands are). But yes, rabbits can get fat off pellets if fed only pellets and as much as they want. Just getting a few tablespoons a day though won't fatten her up though, especially since you're using the lower-protein timothy pellets (alfalfa pellets are the ones that usually pack on the pounds and load the calcium).

Keep giving her as much hay as she wants, and the rest of the diet should be just fine!

Latest posts

Back