Feeding Baby Food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I know that, besides Critical Care and a pellet slurry, baby food can be fed to a bunny undergoing stasis. But most baby foods are made from veggies that a bun may not be used to eating.

Is itfeasible to feed a bun experiencing GI stasis baby food made from a veggie that's new to him/her? (My girls are only used to mint, parsley and leaf lettuce.)

Thank you,

Jenk

It's a matter of figuring out the lesser of the evils. A gut imbalance leading to poopy butt (and in rarer cases, cecal dysbiosis, or major poopy butt) isn't anywhere near the problem that a gut slowdown or stasis is, so it's usually worth the risk.

The other thing to consider is that baby food is wet and will help with hydrating the bunny, a very important thing.

Still, the best treatment is always hydration and fibre with as few carbohydrates/sugars as possible, so Critical Care, canned pumpkin and fresh veggies are better than baby food, but baby food will do in a pinch.

That said, my guys hate the stuff. :yuck (Unless of course it's the fruit varieties).

Hope this helps!

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
It's a matter of figuring out the lesser of the evils. A gut imbalance leading to poopy butt (and in rarer cases, cecal dysbiosis, or major poopy butt) isn't anywhere near the problem that a gut slowdown or stasis is, so it's usually worth the risk.

The other thing to consider is that baby food is wet and will help with hydrating the bunny, a very important thing.

Still, the best treatment is always hydration and fibre with as few carbohydrates/sugars as possible, so Critical Care, canned pumpkin and fresh veggies are better than baby food, but baby food will do in a pinch.
Tonight, Iwill give her more green-leaf lettuce. (I fear giving her too much, though; she's only just started eating it again several days ago.)

I'll also offer her pumpkin tonight. I'll water it down and syringe-feed it, if necessary, though I don't know how much to give to a 3-lb. bun. :?

Back