Feeding a Flemish Giant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
My baby boy, Nebula, is 5 months old now, and I had him neutered on Monday. Since I have had him, I have fed him unlimited pellets, veggies in the evening and unlimited hay. He is only 7 1/2lbs. Since he is now neutered, should I cut back on the pellets, or keep up with the unlimited (works out to be one cup a day)? Does 7 1/2lbs for a 5 month old flemish sound right?

I freefed Tiny for at least 18 months - and that weight seems a bit small to me - I think Tiny was 5 months old when he got neutered and he was at least 9 pounds - I'd haev to check....

Is he a full flemish or a flemish mix?

Peg

I free feed my (intact) Flemish until they are adult weight (13 lbs. for a buck/14 lbs for a doe) or 18 months old. Then I cut them back based on their weight, condition and if they will be bred.

Generally, I expect a Flemish buck to be between 8 and 10 lbs at 5 months. So he's only half a pound off... but now that he's neutered, he won't put on weight as fast. Have patience and let him grow up. As long as he is healthy and happy, that's all that matters!

I weighed my 2 year old Flemish Giantthis morning and she was 13.5 pounds. Previously she was 18.5 pounds so I am a little concerned. She is now a full time house bunny so she is probably getting a LOT more excercise. She still eats plenty and runs around happily like Normal. I was thinking of adding Nutrical to her food. Should I be worried?

I feed my 9 month old Flemish at least a full cup of feed a day sometimes more. I fill his bowl full everyday. He runs around alot, most of the day. I have no idea how much he weights. He is alot smaller than the Flemish the breeders show but I think it has alot to do with him running around all the time rather than spending most of his time in a cage.

juneaf wrote:
I weighed my 2 year old Flemish Giantthis morning and she was 13.5 pounds. Previously she was 18.5 pounds so I am a little concerned. She is now a full time house bunny so she is probably getting a LOT more excercise. She still eats plenty and runs around happily like Normal. I was thinking of adding Nutrical to her food. Should I be worried?

Wow! She lost 5 lbs.?Did you notice it over time, gradually or suddenly? Is she boney or thin? When did she weigh 18.5 lbs? ...and who weighed her on what scale? If she looks about the same, I think someone may have made an error weighing her one time. Otherwise, I might get her checked for parasites.

13.5 lbs isn't that bad for a spayedadult doe. And please keep inmind, Flemish can range from 12 lbs up to 20+. Show weighs have minimums, 13 lbs. for a Senoir buck, 14 lbs. for a senior doe. But not all Flemish reach those exact weights. (So many things factor into a rabbits size...Breeding, genetics and nutrition are a big part of any rabbits adult weight).

If she looks healthy, eats well, gets plenty of exercise and appears to be content, I wouldn't add anything to her diet. The Nutrical is great, but I keep it in reserve for emergencies. And you don't want her getting fat and overweight either. You can add a half teaspoon of dried oatmeal to her diet if you want. But it can be fattening, keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't gain a lot of weight.

Latest posts

Back