Feeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wordstoasong

Reaction score
I'm wondering if these type of feeders are ok for feeding. My sister (a guniea pig lover) told me it's not good for my rabbits, but I use to have one a long time ago.
feedbin_SP2.jpg

The only thing I can think of is because it doesnt have the *filter* type bottom to let loose particles or dust filter through..

I prefer this shape of feeder (usually called a 'J' feeder). I think it keeps the feed cleaner (they can't sit in their bowls and poop in it) and dry (they can't dump their water in it or pee in it). The can not tip it over and spill the feed (if properly installed). You can measure what you put in there and know how much they ate.

As GoinBackToCali mentioned, I do prefer the ones with screening in the bottom to sift out the "fines" (dust from the pellets). :eats:

Probably she meant that it wasnt good to free feed your rabbits unlimited pellets (which is what one of those is made for I think). Its recommended you give them limited pellets in addition to veggies and unlimited hay.

Most of us here just use bowls. You can usually buy some nice ceramic ones at pet stores. I have some made for small animals, some made for cats and puppies and I even use a human ceramic bowl for one of my bunnies. Basically, anything heavy that they cant tip over is good.

My only caution with the ceramic bowls is that they can contain lead paint.

Leaf wrote:

WHAT???? I've never heard that ceramic bowl paint can contain lead!!!!!! Lead is carcinogenic! And how can one tell? Is there any sign that has to do with how the paint looks? Do particles of paint get licked by the bun when he/she eats?

Marietta

"J" feeders are great for commercial rabbitrys with large numbers of rabbitsbecause the cage door doesn't need to be opened and the rabbits can't dump the feed. As already mentioned the feed generally stays cleaner in the "J" feeder. The "J" feeder can also be mounted high to discourage digging the feed out and also to encourage full arch breeds to stretch out.

Oneproblem with "J" type feeders is that breeds with big round bulldog heads that have a short muzzle mayhave a difficult time eating from them.

Fresh feed should be given daily - unfortunately, some people fill up the "J" feeder and old feed may sit in it for a while. I've seen mold develop in these feeders, as well as moisture form at the bottom of the ones with no screens (from peeing or rabbits in higher cages dripping water down). I've also seen this happen in solid hay racks, so these should be inspected and cleaned regularly.

Bunnies have been known to escape from the cage through the feeder, when breeders have removed the hinged lids of the feeder for quicker feeding.

Insome cases, the use of "J" feeders inhibits proper feed management because it lends to overfeeding as well as unsanitary conditions if the feeder is not frequently cleaned.

Pam

Marietta wrote:
Leaf wrote:

WHAT???? I've never heard that ceramic bowl paint can contain lead!!!!!! Lead is carcinogenic! And how can one tell? Is there any sign that has to do with how the paint looks? Do particles of paint get licked by the bun when he/she eats?

Marietta

Properly glazed commercial products are generally safe for pets.

Homemade or foreign pottery may not be properly glazed and may leak metals from the glaze or the paint.

More info:

High Lead in Ceramicware

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/learning/articles/tfh/leadlingers.html

Some ceramicware has lead in the glaze and may introduce small amounts of lead in the diet, which the body can tolerate, says Carrington. "The major problem with ceramicware is the rare poorly made piece with very high levels of leaching lead."

Bolger adds that even with these pieces, risk varies. "A plate coming in brief contact with food is not an issue," he says, "but storage of food in such a bowl or pitcher is a risk." It's especially wise to avoid storing acidic foods like juice and vinegar in ceramic ware , as acids promote lead leaching.

FDA has established maximum levels for leachable lead in ceramic ware , and pieces that exceed these levels are subject to recall or other agency enforcement action. The levels are based on how frequently a piece of ceramic ware is used, the type and temperature of the food it holds, and how long the food stays in contact with the piece. For example, cups, mugs and pitchers have the most stringent action level, 0.5 parts per million, because they can be expected to hold food longer, allowing more time for lead to leach. Also, a pitcher may be used to hold fruit juice. And a coffee mug is generally used every day to hold a hot acidic beverage, often several times a day.

Michael Kashtock, Ph.D., chief of FDA's Office of Plant and Dairy Foods and Beverages enforcement branch, says, "FDA allows use of lead glazes because they're the most durable. But we regulate them tightly to ensure their safety. Commercial manufacturers ... employ extremely strict and effective manufacturing controls that keep the lead from leaching during use." Small potters often can't control the firing of lead glazes as well, he warns, so their ceramics are more likely to leach illegal lead levels, although many do use lead-free glazes. "The best advice is to stick to commercially made products. If you are going to buy something hand-made or hand-painted, get assurance that lead-free glazes were used," he says.

Antique ceramicware may leach high levels of lead. Consumers can use a lead test kit from a hardware store on such pieces and on other hand-painted ceramicware they may already own. Avoid using such items--particularly cups, mugs or pitchers--if the glaze develops a chalky gray residue after washing.

"And you want to make sure," says Rosenthal, "that you know whether an item is for food use, or if it's for decorative use only." FDA requires high-lead-leaching decorative ceramicware to be permanently labeled that it's not for food use and may poison food. Such items bought outside the United States may not be so labeled, potentially posing serious risk if used for food.

Thanks so much, Pam, for the excellent information you cited! This one was new to me! My painted ceramic bowls are commercial products from an Italian pet accessory company, whose brand name I don't remember.

Marietta

I just wanted to mention if you look at the picture you can see the feeder has a sifter bottom. I know mine does. If you look at the label you can read "sifter bottom" on it. :p

Latest posts

Back