Feed storage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackiesmum

Reaction score
I read somewhere......maybe on this forum, that you can put rabbit pellets in the freezer to preserve them. Is this correct.

How can I store hay? Is plastic totes OK for this? Does anyone use Oxbow timothy hay? Is this a good hay?

One more question. I switched Blackie to Buckeye pellets. The followingis from their website. Does this seem like a good pellet........surehope as I have lots of it.

Would timothy based pellets be better for Blackie? If so does anyone use Oxbow pellets?

FEATURES:

• Designed for rabbits being raised for pets, show, or meat production
  • Excess vitamins added to compensate for loss during pelleting
  • Proper ratio of carbohydrates and fiber to minimize the risk of enteritis
  • Contains Yucca Schidigera Extract to help control ammonia odor
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein, Minimum
16.00%

Crude Fat, Minimum
2.50%

Crude Fiber, Minimum
15.00%

Crude Fiber, Maximum
18.00%

Calcium, Minimum
0.60%

Calcium, Maximum
0.90%

Phosphorus, Minimum
0.50%

Salt, Minimum
0.30%

Salt, Maximum
0.80%

Vitamin A, Minimum
2000 IU/lb*

*This does not include carotene, the Vitamin A precursor in Alfalfa Meal
INGREDIENTS: Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hulls,Ground Corn, Soybean Meal, Ground Oats, Heat Processed Soybean, YuccaSchidigera Extract, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate,Magnesium Oxide, Manganese Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, ZincOxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite,Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement.

I queried a feed manufacturer(BlueSeal)with the freezer question a couple of years ago. Their representativereplied that the feed should keep its nutritional value for up to a year.

I have subsequently changed feed to Purina Advanced Show Formula, but freeze it the same way. I place the entire bag (50Lbs in thiscase) in the freezer and dispense smaller amounts into an airtight cannister until fed to the buns. The bag's top is carefully rolled over several times, making it as airtight as Ican, then sealed with several clothes pins placed along the fold.

I buy oats in 50lb quanitities also, and repackage them into ten 5lb plasticbags and pull out one bag at a time, as needed.

The ingredient list you postedseems most adequate, as long as the feed is fresh and smells as such. Have no experience with neither Ox Bow, nor timothybased pellets, though some swear by them.

Buck

Hiya Buck!

Nope

I will not say a word about Rabbit feed. Though I have been using Purina Pro for quite awhile now [16%] My rabbits are fine I use it foreveryone. Bucks, [No Pun intended] Does and weanlings. I sometimes give whole Oats and will add Black oil Sunflower seeds when applicable. But I will NEVER tell anyone how or what to feed their Rabbit. If it works,do it!

Dennis,C.V.R.

Buck,

How much oats do you give and how often?

I have been giving Blackie Quaker Old fashioned oats every now and then at a treat.

He loves them. Do you think these are ok? Or is it better to get oats at the feedstore?

Thanks,

Mary

Quaker Oats are good, I know my rabbit lovesthem, but they are high in fat, and will cause your rabbit to gainweight if not fed in moderation.

~M

Blackiesmum wrote:
Buck,

How much oats do you give and how often?

I have been giving Blackie Quaker Old fashioned oats every now and then at a treat.

He loves them. Do you think these are ok? Or is it better to get oats at the feedstore?

Thanks,

Mary
I sprinkle some over the top of their regular feed daily. Notmuch, mind you, but just a taste. Served as a treat, theyshould cause absolutely no harm. My reading suggests oatswill put on fleshy, muscular weight, and not flab...inmoderation.

I use animal oats with the hull milled off @ about $11.00 per50 lb bag. Oats with the hull, or crimped hulls, have morefiber and for that reason are probably a better choice. Someof our buns leave the hull behind, however, creating a house cleaningproblem for me, hence the milled version.

Buck

Latest posts

Back