Feed or dont feed the night before getting spayed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreasuredFriend wrote:
Intubated? Isoflurane cup over the mouth? Our rabbit-savvy vet suggested no food or water after midnight whenour cast of 19 rescueswere to be spayed and neutered in the early a.m, next day. Being uncomfortable with that, I took away their water bottle and hay approximately 4-6 hours prior to their air tube insertion for surgery. Everyone did okay...
Nope, I can't agree with that. Not from what I have learned through the House Rabbit Society, vets, this forum, and just reading.

If I have a vet....not a tech or support staff....the real doctor....tell me to remove hay and water from a rabbit the night before...it is quite obvious to me that this doctor should stick to dogs and cats....not much more can be said. It's wrong plain and simple. I have no problem removing pellets early....but never hay and water. I have been dealing with rabbits for many years and have been thru hundreds of surgical procedures....we do not remove hay and/or water at all. Never have...never will. We are doing a spay tomorrow and she will have hay and water available right up to procedure time.

And intubating for a spay/netuer....how much extra was the charges? I can't think of a sound medical reason to intubate for these procedures. We have intubated rabbits....as difficult as it is....for prolonged sedation required for some dental procedures. If a rabbit is in such shape that intubation is required for spay/neuter....I would revisit it's overall health situation first.

I have to be blunt here..do not remove hay and/or water from a rabbit....period!

Randy

well we fed her up until she had to go and I even gave her an alfalfa cookie before she went .. shes there now :< I want her to come home we have cilantro and parsly waiting for her

Yay, good job! Oh, did you ask about pain meds to bring home? I hope the spay goes well and she's feeling okay later. You may want to see if she'll take a craisen as a treat as well for being such a brave girl;).

We actully just bought some crasins for her!! I just set up her cage a fresh towel and food and her treats in a low bowl I got a bowl of water too as well as her normal water bottle and some hay ... ahhh I want her home so bad!!... we asked the vet if we could speak to her after the surgery to ask about pain meds... *stares at phone waiting for an okay come pick up Zoie call*

I feel your pain and anxiety, I truly do. I hope that she does ok. It sounds like you are doing all the right things :)

Thinking of you

ahhhh they just called :biggrin2:shes waking up and everything went perfect!!! Aww i want to go hold her and sniff her!!! Her little head always smells so good, we can pick her up in a few hours and they said they have pain meds for us to take home ... im such a happy mommy i cant wait to go get her now!!!!!!

She'llsoak in your love and extra TLC. Happywishes for your sweetie!

Disabled Karla girl underwent a minor anesthetic procedure ... anda vet techbrought her into the exam room after she was awakening. Holding your groggy bunny in a burrito-wrap comfort towel as she's coming to is an incredible bonding experience!It was pins and needles and prayer time when Karla went for her papilloma growth removal last December.A vet who takes excellent care of your babies is a Treasure!

I got around to reading this thread a little after the fact, but I would have had to echo everybody's FEED HER statement. Glad to know you made that decision.

I would still mention to my vet that the tech (or receptionist)told you not to, though. Only good can come of it.

And congrats on a successful surgery for your girl! Looking forward to hear about her post-op craisin smorgagbord! :)

Zoie is home!!! They sent her home with Butorphanol syrup for pain. As soon as we got her home we offered her her favorite snack and some cilantro and parsley and she ate it all!!! Shes doing really good, her eyes are still sleepy though. She just drank some water from her bowl and now we left her to rest for a little while. :) We are happy parents right now :biggrin2:

Aw, this all sounds good :)

Fingers crossed that it stays good.

yeah she ate good, she kinda reminded me of a robot when she was eating though her eyes were half closed and she was just munching away like okay just get it out of my face but im glad she ate REALLY gladbecause I was nervous about that

Latest posts

Back