feed frustration

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luv-bunniz wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
How big is a bale?
Depends on where you buy them, but the rectangle ones are usually about 20lbs and the bigger round bales 30-40lbs. I buy the retangle bales and beetween ferrets bedding, guinea pig bedding, guinea pig feed and rabbit feed it takes about 3 months to use it up :biggrin2:
And that's like $2.75 per bale I spend more then that a week on my rabbits hay. And I only have 2 rabbits how about you?

A 60-70 lb. bale of food grade timothy at our feed store is $16.

I don't understand hay at all :?

I feed Timothy (I think thats what it is) and then I have dried out grass and feed that too. Is that okay? Or should I be buying different stuff to?

Timothy is great. Grass hay ("dried grass") is just fine and I find that most of mine really love it. I wouldn't really get into much of the alphalfa, clover or orchard grass and if you do try not to make it "unlimited". I feed alot of the clover and orchard grass hay with timothy b/c of our horses but it's a pretty high octane hay and I just give them less. I think "unlimited" might do a little damage but I shouldn't be anything too bad. Normally they just get enough alphalfa from their pellets and timothy is a nice all-around hay. I'm sure there is a sight on the internet for different types of hay....you might have to look for more sights with horse feeding instructions as they're the ones that really concentrate on hay quality.

I can't believe you guys can get hay so cheap a regular bale of Timothyis like $17.98 or something like that and the mini-bales of TimothythatI get are $10.00 eachand are a bit dusty. Hay is really expensive here at leastI don't go through hay very fast.

~Hayley

Wow! Fortunately Hershey doesn't like hay much! I know it doesn't cost very much around here, maybe 4 dollars/bail? But when I need some, I just get a flake or two from my neighbor who owns horses. She gives it to me for free, but then I give her several dozen eggs a month from our chickens!

Latest posts

Back