Fecal Frequency Question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I've a question and then an explanation for it:

1)Cana bun to poop a less-than-normal amount from day-to-day and have it not necessarily be a sign of GI slowdown? Or should a bun always have approximately the same fecal output everyday?

My first experience with bunnies has started roughly due to my Mini Rex, Zoe, having so many digestive issues;I'm uncertain as to how much bunnies should poop in a 24-hour period.

What throws me is that Zoe's poop output is abnormal and only regulates itself (in terms of size, shape and quantity)when she's on a gut-motility drug. Once she's off such drugs for 1-2 weeks, her output greatly decreases. Still, I'm uncertain if her increased outputcaused the by the drugs is actually abnormal, in a sense (and so I shouldn't worry, as long as she's pooping semi-normal-sized--not teeny-tiny--poops).

Thank you,

Jenk

Hi, Jen!

Bunnies don't poop the same quantities every time, it depends on what and how much they have eaten and how much time has passed since their last meal, even on if they're active or sleeping, etc. For example, within about half an hour from their last feed, you'll see more poop than previously. If they eat a lot of hay, they poop more, also. So, there's no general rule, except if we're talking about major changes in the quantities pooped throughtout a period of time.

MK

Thanks for the information, Marietta.

I've really tried to relax more about my girls' health; but Zoe's fecals quantity cut way back two days ago (so I called the vet). And whenIgot up this morning, I see that Emma's fecal amount decreased again, and about half of what she passed are smaller than normal in size. (They were getting larger and lighter in color; now they're back to beingnearly black in color.)

I'm having more of internal fits because my husband commented to Zoe the other day that she needs to regulate her body, as it's getting too expensive for us to keep her (and Emma). (In the past two weeks', we spent $1,500 for both girls and our cat; and that's not counting Zoe's previous 20+ vet visits, tests and medications. :()

Latest posts

Back