favorite brand of litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADEE

Reaction score
What type of litter do you use?
What size/type of litter box do you use?
How often do you clean it out vs how many bunnies you have?
Do you put their food right into the box?

What type of litter do you use? right now i am using carefresh mixed with yesterdays news.

What size/type of litter box do you use? I have two litter pans , one is the xtra lrg cat litter box and the other is a large cat box with a high back and sides

How often do you clean it out vs how many bunnies you have? i dont clean it often enough,lol. I have two rabbits a 4 lb dutch and a 7.5 lb lop and i change it every two days, if it looks ok i will let it go a lil longer sometimes.

In both i stack hay ontop of the litter, and on the biggest box i put thier veggie bowl in there. They are "trained" that when they see me coming in the morning with the veggies t hey jump off the shelf and right into the litter pan,lol.

Until now I have always used newspaper, now I am trying something different.

I am using a layer of newspaper, a layer of wood shavings, and a layer of of hay over that.

The shavings are kilne dried and pretty much have no odour so they are great, and very absorbant.

I have 2 bunnies (for now, ahem) living separately and I use a wood based pellet cat litter for both. Works great. Very absorbent and takes away any smell.

For my Maddie (small bun), she has a medium sized (pink!) cat litter tray, and my Ebony (medium sized girlie) has 2 of these. I clean Maddie's tray every 2 days usually, Ebony's usually three, but she is outdoors and spends a lot of her time outside and just poops on the grass so the trays don't get so full.:p

I don't put pellets and veggies near the tray, but both of them have their hayracks over the tray. Bunnies seem to like to poop and eat hay at the same time, so this save a lot of mess. :)

The only problem with woodpellet litter is that is it very heavy, I can never carry it to the car. :p

ADEE wrote:
I use wood stove pellets, which I found in the horse care section of the pet store (we have a kinda "country" pet store). they're compressed wood shavings that are kiln dried to get harmful chemicals out of the pine. I also like recycled paper pellets, like Yesterday's News, but the stove pellets are cheaper and almost as good.
For my bonded pair, I have a high-back corner litterbox from Petsmart, and a rectangular cat-style litter box. They have a 3rd one, but it's on loan to my bf's bunny. My bf's bunny has a high-back corner litterbox from Petsmart with a wire grate over the top of it, and a rectangluar cat style one on loan from the bonded pair.
For the pair, I clean them all every 3-4 days (depending on how lazy I am and how full of dishes my kitchen sink is). They're both medium-sized (3-5lbs) bunnies. My bf only cleans his dwarf's litterbox about once a week.
Nope, and I'm not sure what you mean by this... they have little bowls for pellets, and a basket for veggies. they have hay racks by their litterboxes, and a lot of hay falls in, but I don't purposely put food in there. I don't think they'd eat that.

What type of litter do you use? I use a layer of corn cob on the bottom followed by Yesterday's News pelleted (paper) bedding topped with some hay since I've found they do better with litter habits when there is some hay in their boxes.

What size/type of litter box do you use? I use a medium-sized kitty litter box for my full-grown boys and a smaller kitty litter box for my babies.

How often do you clean it out vs. how many bunnies you have? I have four bunnies presently and I scoop out their boxes usually every one to two days. I take out all of the wet and put a little fresh litter in. And then I do a full cleaning every three to four days. I'll dump the pans, rinse them, clean them with a water/vinegar solution, wipe them dry and replace the litter. In the cooler weather I usually can get away with doing it once a week, but now that it's summer it's more frequent.

Do you put their food right into the box? I do put a small amount of hay into their pans, but only to one side so that they do not soil their hay. The rest of their hay is in a hay rack or in a box for them to forage for. Their pellets, veggies, and everything else goes into one of their dishes.

I use the generic version of Feline Pine, which is a compressed wood pellet that has been kiln dried to remove toxic chemicals. Pretty much the same thing as wood-stove pellets and pine-pellet horse bedding, but a little more expensive. (The feed store is far away, so for me, the cost of driving there evens out the higher cost of the "cat" litter.)

I use the Rubbermaid under-the-bed sweater boxes, without the lids of course. My bonded pair spends a lot of time in the litter box, so they need the extra room. My single bunny will pee over the edge of a cat-sized litter box.

Both litter boxes get cleaned every 2-3 days.

Both litter boxes get a sprinkling of hay "crumbs" in a freshly-cleaned litter box, it seems to give them better traction. It is also a good way to use up the leftover bits of hay that are too small to be good for food and would be discarded, anyway.
The pair has a hay rack hanging on the cage right next to the litter box, they like to sit in it to eat. They also pull a lot of the hay out and into the litter. My single demands that her litter box is right in the center of her pen area, or she will pee over the side of the box. (She is very particular!) So her hay gets placed in the corner opposite the one she uses. She will sit outside the litterbox to eat.

we have been using Yesterdays News but its going to get VERY expensive if we have to keep doing a complete litter change every 2 days hahaha.. were currently using a 27qt bin as a litter box as the cat boxes just didnt seem big enough (i love for our bunnies to have lots of room, its the reason they have their own vanity/bathroom all to themselves!) Their hay gets placed on top of their litter and their food bowl is also in one corner of the litter box.. they seem to like it there and we have very few "bunny accidents" where we will find a stray poo outside the box. Their veggies and otherwise "treats" are given outside the box as is their water :) All their toys are also outside the box in their play area... I literally do NOT have a cage for our bunnies. We have a very large dog carrier that we use to transport or in the event of a hurricane that the bunnies could live in if they *had* to but i prefer to give our animals lots and lots of room to play

I use Yesterdays News for my upstairs bunnies (Basil, Max, Tumnus & Lucy) bc I really dont like the smell of wood pellets. For Biggie Max and Nigel, who are in my lower level where its more open, I use Equine Fresh wood pellets.

I use large cat litter boxes by Van Ness that are cheap at Walmart. They work great and are very roomy. I also use large tupperware containers for my bonded pair, Basil and Max, and for Biggie Max who is a larger bunny.

I clean out litter boxes about 2-3 times a week. I have 6 bunnies and 7 litter boxes:shock:

I put hay where they can reach it in their litter box. They love to sit in the box and munch hay, as gross as it sounds ;)

ADEE wrote:

Newspaper>Wood shavings mixed with newspaper litter>hay

Cat litter box that is about 12"x16"

Twice daily in the summer, once or twice daily in the winter and I have 1 rabbit

He gets his hay and a hay rack in his litter box then I put his food bowls on newspaper next to it

I use Yesterday's New as litter, and pine shavings as bedding

Those recyclable litterboxes

Have 2 rabbits although they both live in different pens and I strip their cage 1 a week.

No, Fluffy has a ceramic bowl and Pumpkin I kindof put his pellets everywhere so he has to work for them.

I line the bottom of the box with newspapers, then cover them with Yesterday's News.

I have one of those Hi-Back, plastic litter boxes - the bigger square ones not one of those little corner ones. When I move I want to get them a covered cat box.

I have two small rabbits - Barnaby is 3 lbs and Zeus is smaller than that. I try to clean it every other day but will sometimes let it go for longer if it still looks pretty clean.

Their hay goes right into the box. Their salads I give to them in a bowl.

I use Yesterday's News(tip-it's cheaper at Petco with the biggest bag they have than at Petsmart, just FYI)

a corner box, from the ferret section

i change it general every two to three days with one 9 month old male holland lop

no food in the box! yuck:p. but he can get to it all from his box(or can shove it over to his box) which keeps both of us happy:biggrin2:!

Flopsy wrote:

Just a reminder that pine and cedar shavings aren't good for bunnies because they contain aromatic compounds (that make them smell so good) that can irritate their eyes and respiratory tract. They can also lead to liver damage. Pine that is kiln dried and aspen shavings are ok.;)

tonyshuman wrote:
Flopsy wrote:

Just a reminder that pine and cedar shavings aren't good for bunnies because they contain aromatic compounds (that make them smell so good) that can irritate their eyes and respiratory tract. They can also lead to liver damage. Pine that is kiln dried and aspen shavings are ok.;)
I know, its only temporary:?

Right now yesterday news, which I like though wish it didn't cost so much.
Tried a local litter and found it didn't use well. Got messy fast, didn't hold the smell.
Also when I have been broke...I have taken one of Lina's old cloth diapers, laid it on the bottom, put hay on top of that and he will use that. But again it doesn't hold smell and gets rather wet too fast. Guess it is better than nothing in a pinch though.

Not sure of the size...his pans are rather small I suppose and he won't use the large one I bought that has a back and sides.

I only have Simon. If I put in a new clean pan say on Monday...I will change it out for a clean pan like Wednesday night/Thursday morning -ish...
I have found a too messy box gets him ticked.

I put hay in there, but not a lot.
His pellets he has a dish for, and a box for clean new hay.

:)

I use feline pine in square litter boxes made for rabbits with a plastic screen on top.

Fiona has one box, across her cage from her hay rack and uses it perfectly.

Timmy has two, one that he uses and one that he sits in. His hay rack is over the one he uses, and a lot falls into the box. He's also destroyed his plastic screen.

Fiona gets her poops off about twice a day and the pee scooped once a day.
Timmy gets scooped once a day.

Wood pellets when I can get my in-laws to pick them up since the store is near them, otherwise Yesterday's news
It is a cat litterbox, a good sized one
a good dumping/everything cleaned 1-2 weeks for 2 bunnies, more often if they get messy with it and are really dirty-ing up the joint! however spot cleaning is kind of going by the wayside right now since im recovering from a broken leg (just had 2nd surgery in 4 months, boo), and husband is trying to keep up with 6 pets! (and me!)
no, pellets go in food bowls and hay in hay racks. a few loose hay strands might go in the box as the racks are near it, but overall I dont put food directly in it.

I use Wood Stove Pellets.

I have large cat boxes form Walmart. Only one per cage. So Korr and Sophie have one and Penny has one.

I clean them when they look dirty. Usually 2-3 times a week. Penny is about twice a week.

The hay rack is in the litter box. This works best for all of them as they tend to poop when they eat hay. So why fight it. It just works better that way. I have pellets in a bowl not near the boxes.

I use pelleted horse bedding. I do not use litter boxes as my buns are all on wire, I clean trays 2xs a week in hot weather

Latest posts

Back