Fatty lump in dewlap? Or something else?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I noticed a bit ago thatshe has a fatty feeling lump in her dewlap, almost feels water balloon in texture? It's flexible, not sure if it's attached but it's on one side. It's not hard at all and she doesn't mind if I squeeze it/ move it around, so not sure what it could be.. she was overweight not too long ago and has lost quite a bit of weight over the last year or so, but I'm a bit worried about it. I can move it around a bit and it hasn't grown that I feel. She's eating, drinking, acting normally so I'm really not sure what's up.

I need to book an appointment to get her checked up anyways, to make sure things are going well with her, but wanted a bit of information on if this could be something serious or just afat pocketin her dewlap?

probably the vet will be able to tell what it is by just feeling it ...if not he can do a biopsy.

I am betting it's a fatty lump

it's not an abscess..it's not attached so that's good.

Yeah, that's what I figured, she needs a thorough check up soon anyways, just not sure when will work, so wanted to see if it was serious and needed immediate attention, or could wait a bit until school rush is over/ weather cools down so I don't risk heat stroke.

Do you think it's anything that could do her harm? Wouldshe have to be her under anesthetics I assume for a biopsy? :?I was worried if it was an abcess, wasn't sure what they felt like/looked like, but it is quite squishy and moveable, not hard and stuck.

Fatty tumors (usually not malignant, don't worry) do seem to show up in dewlaps. An abscess would feel more hard because the pus is super thick. It would probably hurt Poppy when you squeezed it too. I know a foster/traveling bun I took care of for a bit was very upset at the slightest touch to the abscess in her dewlap.

It's a good idea to have your vet check it. He may be able to try a needle biopsy first, which is where they just stick a needle in and try to suck up any fluid and see what it is. They may also be able to get some sample cells that way too, I'm not sure. If they do they can check for malignant cancer.

Latest posts

Back