"Fat" foods for buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valaria243

Reaction score
Hi,

Fuzzy has lost some weight during her battle with the parasite and I'm looking for some foods to help her put some weight back on.

Any good ideas?

I've added oats and wheat germ to chinchilla food to help put weight on them, but I don't know if it would work the same for rabbits. I only did that for pregnancy/nursing recovery though. When they were sick, I just fed them regular food and the weight came back slowly, it seemed healthier than feeding extra stuff since digestion can be tricky.

Breeders use black oil sunflower seeds to condition their rabbits, and they are full of fat. I don't think you give very much though, no more than a tsp a day. You would want to start out just giving her one for a couple days, to see how she does with it, and slowly increase the amount if she seems ok eating them, with no changes in her poop. But if she is sensitive to carbs and sugars at all, then I'm not sure if giving seeds would be good or not. You could also give alfalfa hay, as long as she doesn't have bladder sludge problems. You want to slowly transition onto alfalfa hay as well, to minimize digestive upset.

black oil sunflower seeds, oats and alfalfa hay can all potentially be used but all can potentially cause health problems (tummy upset with the first two; bladder sludge with the third if she's prone to that sort of thing). whatever you use should be fed in small amounts and introduced slowly.

my girls are about 10 mos old and eat sierra valley hay's 80% orchard/20% alfalfa blend, which is a VERY nice, high-quality hay (I'd rather not feed them alfalfa at all at their age, but they won't eat ANY other grass hay).

I posted in the breeder/show room section - I know I've heard some of them talk about some mixture that involves the black oil sunflower seeds and oats that they've fed to their rabbits; I asked for someone to please post the details about it in this thread, since I can't recall exactly what it is they use.

Last edited:
I give oat hay to help my bun gain some weight. I left the oats on and I only give her a small handful a day now, but when I first gave it to her she got a large handful a day mixed with her other hay.
I think its helped her gain some weight and she really likes the oat hay. Plus, its a different texture and great for the teeth and just good because its hay!

To be honest, I would feel uncomfortable giving my bun black sunflower seeds.

ah, yeah, oat hay's good too - more calories than some of the other grass hays.

I'm also wary of black sunflower seeds, since I've always heard "no seeds" for bunnies... but a LOT of people who breed and show rabbits feed them sometimes, which they wouldn't do if they didn't feel it was healthy for their bunnies... so while I wouldn't feed them personally, I also wouldn't tell someone else that they shouldn't.

We've never had a problem with BOSS. During show season I will give them about a teaspoon full 1-2x week. Sometimes I'll give them a small handful of rolled oats as an alternative. It helps with condition and will help with adding weight on those who need it...I just might give those guys a little more. I've also used alfalfa, but sparingly. I know some use barley, but we've never tried it.

I think the 'no seed' thing comes from those rabbit food mixes with seeds and fruit, being loaded with carbs, and that knowing that too many carbs and sugars can cause digestive problems for rabbits. But all rabbits are going to be getting carbs in their diets. All rabbit food has carbs in it, either from grain and molasses/fruit added to it, or from seeds. And if a rabbit is fed limited fruit as treats, then they are also getting carbs from that. So feeding black oil sunflower seeds or oats, really isn't any different. Feeding carbs and sugars just needs to be balanced and not overdone, or it can cause problems.

Also having a rabbit that has health problems and difficulty keeping weight on, you are also limited with what is going to help with that. There are only so many things that are going to help with weight gain with a debilitated rabbit. If the rabbit is having a difficult time eating enough to keep at a healthy weight, then you are going to have to try things that have more protein, fat, and/or carbs in less bulk. So even though feeding alfalfa is normally less desirable because of the higher calcium levels, if there aren't any preexisting bladder sludge issues, then it may be something that is necessary for certain rabbits, to help with weight gain, as it is higher in protein. The same goes for feeding the black oil sunflower seeds or oats. It's something that may be necessary for weight gain, for debilitated rabbits, but isn't something that pet rabbit owners normally feed. I would be more inclined to go with the sunflower seeds than oats, as they would be lower in carbs, but provide more protein, as well as fats from the oil. With the alfalfa hay, the earlier it was harvested, the more protein it will have. You want small stems, little to no flowering, and lots of good green leaves, for it to have the highest protein.

She does seem to enjoy the seeds. We have been giving her the organic mixed greens as well as alfalfa in an attempt to help with the weight loss.

She seems to go in spurts of doing well and then seemingly not so great. We have her on the Panacur again to help with a flare up of the parasite issue. Of course she is also 10 years old with cataracts and back leg paralysis from the parasite.
However, she is also still spunky and more than willing to pull her towel up over her head when it it time for her medicine!:sickbunny: Sometimes she also tries to nip my husband when he gives her the medicine if he takes too long.

Any other diet ideas would be welcome!

However, she is also still spunky and more than willing to pull her towel up over her head when it it time for her medicine!

That's so cute! She sounds like she has plenty of life left in her and isn't going to give up easily.

Did you try giving her a little oats? You just have to be careful using the oats to make sure it doesn't caues a gut imbalance and cause stasis. Also gradually increasing her alfalfa hay amount should help. Try and get a good green early cut alfalfa hay, with small stems and lots of leaves. It will have a higher protein than a later cut with thicker stems.

Ivermectin isn't as commonly used for EC as Panacur, however I've read of it being used sucessfully. It might be something to talk to your vet about. I may have aleady shared these articles with you, but here they are again.

http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/ecuniculi.htm
http://chiefio.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/encephalitozoon-cuniculi-rabbits-cure/

Back