Fat Bunny!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*nepo*

Reaction score
I think Nepo might be alittle fat. When he stands on his hind legs you could see his fattummy. I don't know how much he wieghs. Or maybe he isn't really fat.There's a picture of him on the topic weird bunny. Is there anything Ican do to make him less fat?

By the way, do bunnies have to eat theirfeces? because Nepo doesn'talways eat them. I know because Isee him kind of chew them and then put them on the floor and forgetthem. And I also see little cocoa puffs is there something else youcould give themrather than canned pumpkin tomakethem normal sized?

I was reading posts from thepast because I'm reallyboredand I read this oneabout a bunny owner and their bunny died he/she said his/herbunnyhad no droppings or theywere whitish. WellNepo has a pan under his cage and when I'm going to wash it I sometimessee white droppings, but I only see the white droppings when they arein the pee. Other than that I don't see anything weird. Im kind ofworried

No, the droppings that are white because they arepeed on just have a little bit of dried urine on them. Nothing to betoo concerned about :D

I have read in a rabbit medical book that if arabbit is not eating his feces it most likely is because they are overfed. I have been cutting back on the amount of greens,peletsand especially treats. Basically I try to getit right to where they have not pelets left at the end of theday. Of course they have plenty of hay. It seems tohave helped but it is not an overnight solution.

Ed

Let me clarify something... there are two types of bunny poo...

[align=center]The Mystery of Rabbit Poop[/align]

[align=center]by Dana Krempels, Ph.D.[/align]

Unlike most other mammals, rabbits produce two types of droppings,fecal pellets (the round, dry ones you usually see in the litterbox)and cecotropes. The latter are produced in a portion of the rabbit'sdigestive tract called the cecum. The cecum contains a wild brew ofbacteria and fungi that are normal and beneficial for the rabbit. Infact, the rabbit cannot live without them, since the cecal floraproduces essential nutrients (e.g., fatty acids and vitamins) that therabbit cannot produce on her own.

How does the rabbit get those vitamins? She eats the cecotropesas they exit the anus. Sound disgusting? Not for a rabbit. When she'senjoying her favorite, home-made snack, she'll tell you how delightfulit is with that blissful, soft-eyed face and butt-twitch that signalsall is well with the world. Cecotropes are not feces. They arenutrient-packed dietary items essential to your rabbit's good health.
A rabbit usually produces cecotropes at a characteristic time of theday, which may vary from rabbit to rabbit. Some produce cecotropes inthe late morning, some in the late afternoon, and some at night. In anycase, they usually do this when you're not watching, which might be whysome people refer to cecotropes as "night droppings."

Normal Intestinal Products
Anyone who lives with a bunny has seen a FECAL PELLET. These are thesmall, brown "cocoa puffs" that we all hope end up mostly in thelitterbox. They are round, relatively dry and friable, and composedmostly of undigested fiber. Rabbits do not ordinarily re-ingest fecalpellets, though a few bunnies seem to enjoy an occasional fecal pellethors d'ouevre.
A normal CECOTROPE resembles a dark brown mulberry, or tightly bunchedgrapes. It is composed of small, soft, shiny pellets, each coated witha layer of rubbery mucus, and pressed into an elongate mass. Thececotrope has a rather pungent odor, as it contains a large mass ofbeneficial cecal bacteria. When the bunny ingests the cecotrope, themucus coat protects the bacteria as they pass through the stomach, thenre-establish in the cecum.

Well yeah, but it kind ofsticks to the wire floor. But still he usually 'hangs out' on a woodenbox. And the only time I think he is maybe going to eat them he is onthe sofa, but I don't let him eat them because I take a napkin andclean it up before the sofa gets dirty because they are smelly andsticky.:DWell maybe he does it them at night like bunsforlife said. Ihope so.

roberts_rabbits_2008 wrote:
OK yea so do I. Because they are unable to eat thedroppings then when they fall through right away.

Robert

Rabbits can ingest the cecotropes directly from the anus, so the wire floor is not an issue.

Pam

Sometimes rabbits can be too fat, or too old toreach their bottoms so you may want to beware of that. I never have arabbit in a wire cage without a at least a resting mat. So if you havea rabbit that is too fat or old to bend that way they can still do whatthey have to do on the resting mat.

No I definetly know he canreach down because I have seen him, after he does that he kind of chewsthem and puts them on the floor and forgets them.

Latest posts

Back