False pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

Reaction score
Due to unexpected problems with my computer it'sbeen out of action since last Friday afternoon so I've got a LOT ofcatch up reading to do again, and I'm due at work shortly but...

I've been worrying over Flopsy. For the last ten days or so herbehaviour became so unlike her that I stopped trying to bond her withTarragon for the time being. Last weekend it became obvious that shewasn't just behaving in a randomly strange fashion but that she'sconvinced she's pregnant. She spent a very long time pulling out herfur andtrying out nest building in various areas of her cage- not very well it has to be said - but although she seems to besatisfied with her final effort she's still not her usual self.

I'm hoping that although she's the only one of my rabbits that hasn'tbeen neutered yet that it is just a false pregnancy brought about bythe mounting that she and Tarragon were doing when they were firsttogether. If it is how long do false pregnancies last and is thereanything I can do to help her get over it.

The second more bothering scenario is that although I waited 32 daysafter Tarragon's op maybe he actually has managed to make her pregnant.My vet said not to put them together for a month after because of thatrisk, but I thought that 32 days would be safe. Does anyone knowwhether I can definitely put my mind at rest about this? If not shewould be due from 7th February on so I've got a bit of time to get whatshe needs in if I have to. Any experience or advice would be reallyappreciated. As I say I'm really hoping it's just a false pregnancy. Ifit isn't I suppose I'm going to have a larger herd of rabbits than Iintended!

Love

Kate

My bun Fergi experienced a lot of falsepregnancies. It seemed any time I would finally break down her nest shewould build it back up. I think this was because she had a male in thehouse as well. The mounting behavior could certainly cause her tobelieve she is pregnant and go into a false pregnancy. I am not 100%sure of this but I thought I heard somewhere that you should keep themseperate for 60 days, I know sperm can stay in the "holding tank" forquite a while and still be viable. If she is nesting so soon though Iwould think it is false. To be on the safe side you should put anesting box in her cage on the 27 day of pregnancy unless she stopsshowing any signs of pregnancy before then. Good luck and please keepus posted.

Fergi's mom

Thanks,it's what I've beenhoping,that if she was showing behaviour like that so soonit's unlikely to be a real one. It's good to have you confirm that andsay about your girl's nest building. 60 days though...! I'm justpraying that Tarragon lost his potency as fast as his hormones. I'dnever have let him near her if I'd heard that before :(. Oh well I'lljust keep an eye on her and wait and see.

Kate

Latest posts

Back