False pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queenadreena

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find my7 month old little bunny girl carrying all her hay in her mouth, moving it to one corner and making some sort of nest. She was also pulling chunks of her fur out and lining the area she had made. I've heard about false pregnancies, could she be going through one? There's no way she could be pregnant because I own two females, although one is mounting her alot lately. Definitely both females though. Any clues on why she's making a nest? It wasn't really cold out either :?

I haven't ever experienced a false pregnancy before but I'd imagine you should just let her make a nest,but I'd try to book her in for a spay asap or she may just keep having false pregnancies.:?

Thats what I thought, but I don't know how to prepare her for a spay. Like, should she be starved before she goes in to have it, does she stay overnight, etc etc?
Anyone out there who has experience with bunny psydo-pregnancy?

No don't starve her, it's important that rabbits keep eating right up till they have their op, and straight after they wake up. If you talk to your vet he or she will tell you about spays, how much it will cost and how long your rabbit will need to be in for etc. With my rabbits I dropped them off in the morning and picked them up in the afternoon so she shouldn't have to stay in overnight. After she comes back your vet will probably give her some pain relief, then you should just keep her comfortable, give her a nice fleecy bit of blanket to lie on and if she lives outside and it's coldkeep her in overnight. Most rabbits come through spays fine, and I'd definitely recommend them, they stop the risk of uterine cancers in females, stop any unwanted pregnancies and in most cases make the girl less moody, more friendly and generally a better pet.:)

Just to say, my spayed doe, Pernod, still occassionally runs around making nests with hay and straw (no fur pulling though), and even my male, Perry, has been known to make a nest (and pull fur) :disgust:. Crazy buns!!

Jan

Latest posts

Back