Eye watering came back again in Cocoa

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun~Bun

Reaction score
Well, Cocoa was doing very well - then about maby 1-2 weeks later I noticed some tears. Now it's just like before. I can't see a vet right now - so is there any thing I can do to atleast make him feel comfortable? Any kinda of artifitual tear drops or ointment that I can get at my local grocery store that is safe and could heal it? Any thing I can do at home other than flushing his eyes out?

You can clean around his eyes with a soft cloth and warm water or chamomile tea. If you feel you need to rinse his actual eyes out you can do it with normal human saline. It's sterile so it's safe. Do not use ointments because they might not be safe for him.

Any chance you could save up some money and get him to a vet? This has been going on for a long time without a diagnosis.:?

Our Benji has a chronic problem with runny eyes due to allergies (dust is highly suspected)

Saline solution flushes and warm compresses seem to work best for Benji. He leans into the warm compress so it must feel good, too.

I check his eyes EVERY morning and clean out any goopies or crusties.
I also sift his pellets and give him "top-o-the-bag" hay to keep the dust at a minimum.

Unfourtuanly, it's hard to find a job in the naiborhood where I live and the lack of transportation(Which I would not like to elaborate the issue.). I must do chores and the occassional side-jobs to atleast pay for their providings Ex.: Food. Not mention my other pets the turtles. My mum takes care of the cats and dogs. But "my" pets are to be tooken care by myself - I may of been whith out a job for almost 2 years - but I don't whant to surrender my pets and I try hard to provide them the best I can. That's why I joined here for home made help.
The eye watering stopped for about a month - and then came back. The vet told me just to rinse out the eyes last time. What is "human saline?" Is it eye drops? Where can I buy it? You can clean their eyes out whith tea?
One good thing is, that his eyes are wide and look fine - just wet and dried fur under the eyes and some times I see sleepies in the corner of his eyes.
I've seen eye problems in rabbits were the eyes are squinched and red rings around it whith brown muscus dripping down from the tear ducts.

Only clean around the eyes with chamomile tea, as in the fur near the eyes. Human saline is saline solution for contacts. Use the stuff that's only made for rinsing, just to make sure that the other chemicals for cleaning don't cause a problem.

Back