EYE TROUBLE - Sabine from the trial board

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Sabine wrote:
A few days ago I noticed something that looked like a bit of loose skin on Magic's eye. It seemed to be moving on the eyeball surfice. We managed to gently remove it with some cotton wool. But I noticed now that her eye looks really sore. It looks cloudy and she keeps the eye half closed most of the time. I wonder if it's the result of an injury or an infection. I have her booked in for the vet tomorrow But I would like to know what problems rabbits could encounter with their eyes.

I also have another rabbit, Raylann, who had an eye infection when we got her. it cleared up with antibiotic but it seems slightly weepy again. I am not sure these two things are related. The two does are never together. She is coming along to the vet tomorrow as well,
BoTheBunny wrote:
Well, sometimes mine get hay and stuff on their eyes.... I wonder if the bit you got out was something that irritated that eye?

I believe the vet is definitely the best bet here. Be sure they check teeth if there is an infection....
angieluv wrote:
The object that you removed from Magic's eye ws probably hair on the surface. Is it possible that you irritated the eye when you removed it?
Weepy eyes can be caused from everything from blocked tear ducts to conjunctivitis.

it's good that you made a vet appointment as it could be many things but sound like possibly the eye was irritated when you removed the hair which may have caused an infection.
Sabine wrote:
It was definately not hair or hay that irritated the eye
mouse_chalk wrote:
I could be way off the mark here, but did it look anything like this:

IMG_8433.jpg

In the corner of Dotty's eye, like in her eyeball almost- it's a little flap of skin she has, and sometimes it's more visible than others. She has it in both eyes but it doesn't bother her or anything.... Was it anything like that?
Pipp wrote:
They have a third eyelid in the corner. I think that's where the tear ducts are too? Anyway, weepy eyes could be a sign of infection, always good to have it looked at.

Infection can spread without direct contact with each other.

sas :)
mouse_chalk wrote:
That's what I thought Dotty's was, but I didn't like to say in case it was wrong lol!
Sabine wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:
I'm concerned that it appears cloudy. That could be the first sign of a corneal ulcer (from an injury or irritation). Best to let the vet check it. He/She will probably want to do a stain.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it nothing serious.
Yes it's the cloudiness that worries me most. It seems really different from Raylann's infection. There's no puss oozing out of it it's jsut slightly watery and she keeps it half closed. We noticed the bit in her eye when we examined her after her night under the shed. I hope we didn't hurt her by removing the bit on her eye (David did it
mad.gif
) and I did warn him to be careful
Sabine wrote:
And Jen, it didn't look like Dotty's. It seemed to be loose on the surface. It was sort of whitish and soft. But it wasn't fluff.
BlueGiants wrote:
You can flush the eye with an opthmalic eye wash. If it's loose on the surface, it could just be a bit of mucous. Does it appear to move around when she blinks?
Sabine wrote:
Yes it did move around and it appeared somewhat like mucous. but we did remove it and now it seems inflamed
tonyshuman wrote:
Benjamin and Frida get fur balls stuck on their eyes all the time. We use a Q-tip soaked in saline solution for contacts to get them off gently. I think if it weren't done gently, it could definitely irritate the eye. It could have scratched the cornea. If it's cloudy, red, and irritated for more than a day or two, probably best to take to the vet. They can very easily check for scraches on the cornea. :(
BlueGiants wrote:
(I NEED the "Yeah that" emoticon!)

Best to get it checked out...
angieluv wrote:
When Beau's eye was infected I bought sterile saline eye wash in the contac lense solution area of the drugstore and would just run the liquid from the bottle into his eye afterI warmed the bottle just a little by running it under warm water..
that way nothing had contact with his eyeball other than the solution and thenI would dry the corners with a cottonball.
NorthernAutumn wrote:
I do the same as tonyshuman for Evie... She gets a hair or whatnot in her right eye regularly, and it tends to compact into a whorl. Looks horribly mucousy and cloudy, and can be a devil to remove.
She will close her eyes while I'm fiddling, and very slight rub of the skin above the eyelid will often move it down to the corner of the eye for easy removal.

Fingers and q-tips are all I'd use, personally. Hope her eye looks better soon.
Sabine wrote:
I went to the vet today and she used a stain to check it out. She diagnosed a cornea ulcer and we got an antibiotic cream for it. She wasn't sure whether it is the result of an injury or a bactirial infection. Anyhow I'm glad I went. I hope the cream will help it to clear
JimD wrote:
Sending prayers and good thoughts !!
tonyshuman wrote:
Oh, good, I'm glad you went to the vet and got some medication. I hope that clears it up!

Latest posts

Back