Eye Tearing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This morning I woke up and noticed that Devon had a bit of eye discharge, and just a few minutes ago realized that it had become somewhat severe. Luckily, the vet has an appointment open about an hour from now, so we'll be taking him down. But he still has an appetite and no other outward symptoms.

Hopefully it's something harmless.

Maybe he got something stuck in his eye, and it just needs a good flushing?

Or maybe his tear duct got clogged, and it needs to be flushed?

I haven't had that problem, but I know several other members have and I'm sure they'll have more ideas.

--Dawn

Hi bunnydude!

Our Benji gets runny eye(s) from time to time. We've taken him to thevet a couple of times and after various treatments we determined that he's sensitive to dust. Hay dust seems to affect him the most.Sometimes it's only one eye...sometimes both.
The vet hesitated to flush the ducts because of the scar tissue that may develop from the flushing.
I rinse his eye(s) with saline. I also use warm compresses (Benji LOVES these).
I regularly sift the pellets, but hay is a little harder to "de-dust".If the hay is real dusty, I'll take him off bulk hay and put him on timothy cubes for a few days until his eyes clear up.
We just went through every day last week treating Benji's eyes and they were fine this morning.

jim

Latest posts

Back