Eye Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipwin

Reaction score
Saint Lawrence River Valley, New York, USA
Hi guys, I have a question about Winston's eyes. This isn't (i don't think) an urgent, urgent concern, as I don't think he is sick really, or at least he's acting totally normal... but I do have concern, and from what I've read it might be warranted.

Basically, when he was sitting on my lap today I realized that half of the iris of his left eye is now brown. (Previously, I thought both of his eyes were totally blue... pictures have sorta confirmed that for me, but his eyes never turn out good in pictures anyways. However, I feel like I would have noticed this long ago if it's always been the half and half way!) The white part of his eye is perfectly white in both eyes.. the only thing i notice is when i roll the lid back at the top of each eye there is a light tan patch. Since it is on both eyes, I thought maybe that part may be normal.

His left eye is below... looking to be the normal blue color.

DSC01327.jpg

His right eye is below, half brown, half normal blue.

DSC01329.jpg

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Should I be concerned about something going on with his eyes? I tend to overreact and make vet appointments very quickly, so i wanted to be sure this wasn't something seen all the time.

Thanks for your help!

I never saw anything like that before.

My first impression is that his eye is truly partially brown and blue..
is their anything about the brown that looks reddish? my second thought was that possibly there is bleeding into his eye (but I REALLY don't think that's it)

Why don't you post this in the rabbitry section and ask if anyone has ever seen this before?

Don't freak out or anything because I don't really know what it is!!

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the reply...

I actually thought both of the things you are thinking for a second... I didnt think it was bleeding as the white part of the eye is still white, and I think if it's bleeding then the whole eye would be weird? but maybe I'm wrong. The brown part doesnt look reddish, actually i was debating whether to call it a smokey gray or brown color, not really red at all. The other thing I thought is maybe bunny eyes can change colors... it happened to my dog and cat once they matured as well, but i feel it would be even color change then.

ill probably post it in the rabbitry in a bit. thanks!

Latest posts

Back