Eye Injury, not sure how bad it is (Back from the vets)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, he does seem to be healing up well. Let us know what the vet says.

Got back from the vets.

His eyeball and all his eyelids are very well, no visible scratches or scrapes (thank goodness!). The eye itself is fine.

He has mild conjunctivitisin his eye. It started getting a tiny bit goopy before we left, so it's good I got an appointment. I am advised to hold a chamomele tea bag to his eye. She also gave me two antibiotics. Chlor Palm 250 -Chloramphenicol (1 1/2cc by mouth every 12 hours for 7 days) and Pentamycetin 1% (Chloramphenicol Ophthalmic Ointment USP) to apply to the area every 12 hours for 7 days. Sound alright?

I researched Chloramphenicol and I'm going to be careful giving it to him and wear gloves. Hopefully this helps clear it up.

I have a follow up appointment in 7 days to see how it is, then go from there.

Oh yeah! Bruno is 10lbs 2 ounces :D

(Sorry if I spelt any of the meds wrong, yikes! I can't even pronounce half of them, let alone spell them ;))

I think I might let him chill out for tonight, then start the meds tomorrow? The vet said it tastes good, so most bunnies like it.

My guys all love any meds they get from the vet. It's either honey flavoured or something else very sweet. They gobble it up and yank on the syringe if I don't push it out fast enough.

You could see if he's interested in it. If he'll lick it off the end of the syringe then you might as well start tonight.

So was the eye boo-boo unrelated to the bonding and just show up at the same time? Or was there any sign of injury from another rabbit?

--Dawn

Glad to hear that Bruno is doing well, and that you've got some meds for him. Like aurora says, I would try letting him lick the meds first - Nibbles will take most things that way (licking them off a plate, my hand, etc.). She thinks they're treats.

I'll go down there in a second to see if I have any gloves and see if he'll take it willingly.

She said it's related to the fight. I think there was probably a small cut on his eyelid (from nails or teeth, I'm not sure)that got bacteria in it, then caused the conjunctivitis. The fur missing after the fight and everything leads me to believe that Poppy scratched/bit Bruno, then it was ok, but then got bacteria in the scratch then caused the problems. She couldn't find any scratches or scrapes on the eye or eyelids, and said everything appears normal, except the bit ofcrusting and goop on the lid,so I'm not sure

He took his medicine willingly :D It smelt like vanilla hehe. I put the syringe up to him for him totaste then he kept bonking hismouth against it then looking surprised like something had bit him.. then everytime he'd go to get some more he'd hit himself, wonder what that was, then continue to drink it LOL!

He's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree ;).

Awww, sweet little (big...) man!

Baxter gets overly excited about treats and panics. He starts getting really frantic and will not be able to find the treat sometimes. If I give them a bit of juice in a syringe for a treat, he will always end up pulling the syringe out of my hand to try to get more juice to come out.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
Awww, sweet little (big...) man!

Baxter gets overly excited about treats and panics. He starts getting really frantic and will not be able to find the treat sometimes. If I give them a bit of juice in a syringe for a treat, he will always end up pulling the syringe out of my hand to try to get more juice to come out.

--Dawn

That's how I lose all my syringes! Charlie bites them to try to get more to come out and then bites a hole so nothing comes out at all!

Hehe, yup. He was quite confused about the whole taking anything from a syringe, that silly boy.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get the ointment on his eye.. He doesn't mind the bunny burrito,so I might try that.

Bruno always looks like he's in bunny heaven in his pics. He has that expression of sheer bliss on his face all the time. Lol. He's so gorgeous.

I hope his eye gets better soon :biggrin2:

He's a happy boy, although can be moody sometimes ;).

I got the ointment in his eye and he was a very good boy :D. Then the oral meds in an hour or so. I tried the camamille tea, but he swatted at it and got it all dirty because it fell in his hay and flicked me off, so I figured I wouldn't fight with a big naughty 10lb boy :p

I guess Bruno decided he's been too good so has started to refuse to take the antibiotics from the syringe now. That's ok, I do it bunny cheese whiz style.. medicine on a piece of celery then put it in front of him and he gobbles it up.

He has a free follow up appointment on Wednesday so the vet can make sure his eye is looking good. Looks great to me!

Back