Eye Injury, not sure how bad it is (Back from the vets)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
I had a bonding session today, and Bruno and Poppy got in a littlefight. I gave him a quick glance over and made sure he didn't have any bites or scratches, but I missed his eye. I was more focused on the girls because they are little, argh.

It's red and there's fur missing from the top part and the bottom part from a bite. The eye isn't watering and although he's very grumpy and moody, he doesn't seem bothered by it. He's still moving around well.

I tried to get a look at it, but he wouldn't hold still. I'm not sure if I saw a cut on his eye, or if it was just a hair because he was shedding. His eye isn't watering.

The bonding session happend probably 2-2.5 hours ago.

I can't take him anywhere tongiht, but if it's not looking well tomorrow he's going in to the vet. What can I do in the meantime for him?

Here's the eye..

Picture.jpg

I'm going to see if I can get a better look tonight at the eye. Should I use a flashlight, or will this just irritate the eye?

Also, wanted to add the picture isn't the greatest. It looks swelled, but that's just the eye socket, looks risen because the fur is missing. I went to look at it, and it's still dry and if I look at the eye from an angle, it's a pinky colour

I think his actual eyeball is ok. I got a better look, and I think what I saw was the black riming of the second eye lid. Poppy has the same thing, so I'm hoping it's ok.

I can't get a perfect look, so I'm hoping everything was around the outside of the eye, and nothing touched the eyeball.

Aw poor guy! I know how bad those fights can come on. They happen quickly dont they?

Ive never delt with an eye injury, so I cant tell if it is very bad or not. I would take him to the vet in the morning if it doesn't look better, just because the eye is such a delicate area.

I think either a warm or cold compress might help, just to relieve the pain, and make it less red and puffy.

hm, I just looked and there isnt anything in the Rabbit Health Refrences...

Here is something I found with a story of a similar case, and here is what someone said to do:

"Dilute povidone iodine solution (diluted to the color of weak tea) is the best thing for disinfecting a wound like this, but avoid getting it into the eyes (it won't really hurt anything, but it's not recommended)."

Sorry, thats all I can really find. Just watch out if it gets pussy or anything. Oh and I remember something about a tea bag for eye problems? Im sure someone will know what I mean.

I hope he gets better

:hug: (for both of you)

OH... and Phinn has that black rim on the inner eyelid too, so that isnt a problem.

Thanks so much Silvie.

I freaked out when I saw the redness around his eyes and the fur, then totally freaked when I thought I saw a slice on his eyeball.. what a nightmare.

His eye still looks the same, although doesn't seem as irritated. He still has it open unless I bother him too much, then he keeps it closed, but I'm guessing that's just him wanting me to leave him alone. The area is dry as well.

He's quite grumpy, but did want to come out to explore and say hi to the girls like usual. He doesn't seem in pain or any discomfort, he was flopping over and eating like he usually does.

That's what I was worried about with putting anything on it if it might irritate the eye further. I don't think Poppy Broke skin, because where the hair is missing I don't see any cuts or anything, so I might see if he'll let me put a warm cloth to it tomorrow.

I'm going tokeep checking him tonight, then hopefully it'll look a little better in the morning.

Bruno's eye is looking good today. Is there anything I can put on the bare parts that is eye friendly in case they get infected if there's a cut somewhere I don't see?

Spring, I was wondering if you're planning to go to the vet? I would be very concerned about pain + possible infection.... and I know you're very conscientious. I would definitely go to the vet if my bun developed a raw, sore place like that.

Nose-bumps from Nibbles, for both Bruno and you. :)

I was going to keep monitoring it, and see how it is. It's gotten better since last night. He's not in any pain from what I can tell, still his feisty normal self wanting love and chewing his cage bars demanding his breakfast.The pictures quite dark, I'm going to get a better picture today. It isn't red like it is in the photo, more of a pinky colour. It doesn't seem sore for him, and he's not bothered by it.

If it starts getting any worse or changing for the worse, I'll take him in, unless it's still advised to make certain?

From your description, it seems to be healing fine. Watch for any swelling or any changes for the worse.

Pam

Not long afterI first got Pipp she gotswatted by the cat (self-defence on the part of the cat) and her eye wasbleeding. I was phoning theER vets, freaking out, etc.. (And for the record, when I put her down tocall thevet, she wentstraight for the cat again).

Anyhoo, theytold me it was most likely an injury to the 'third' eyelid or the rim, they havegood defence reflexes that way, and to use a little polysporin on it (there's a polysporin eye ointment made to be putaround the rims) and keep an eye on it.

She was fine.

sas :)

Ok, thanks!

I'm going to ask if we can take him down when mom gets home from workjust to make sure. I'm quite worried about the possibility of an abscess forming, is that likely?

I noticed on his eyelid that a part is turning a white colour and there's a tiny bit of sleep crusties in his eye when I went down to check. It's not weeping or anything and he is still holding it open and doesn't appear to be wanting to squint or anything. He just woke up from a nap, so he let me check it out. His eyeball looks fine, I'm just a bit worried about the white part on his eyelid, any idea what it could be?

Here's a better picture of the eye that I got with the white part on his eyelid.

Picture093.jpg

I got some pictures of the lid, the part I'm concerned about. It's a whitey colour and has a bit of crusties from his eye over it, a scab maybe?

His eye still isn't running. I tried to wipe away the crusties in the corner of his eye after this picture. Should I hold a warm cloth to it and maybe try a warm tea bag as well tonight?

I can't get him to the vets tonight, but if it's not improved tomorrow I can get him there tomorrow hopefully.

Picture094.jpg

Picture095.jpg

What do you think that white lining of his eye is? I don't have a clue :?

I got a picture that shows how it is, and it's looking a lot better than from earlier. The ting bit of goop that was on the eyelid is gone now. I think Poppy bit his eyelid, and it's just starting to scab over.

Picture110.jpg

He's currently asleep on a blanket on my desk hehe.

Picture111.jpg

Beau had to go to the vet for his eye 2 weeks ago.

It all started when he had dental surgery on Aug 1st.
On the way home i thought his left eye looked different but it is hard to describe..I thought it was from being under anesthesia.
Within 1 week his left eye began to water which I watched closely
2weeks ago I woke up and saw a tiny bit of pus in the corner of his eye.
I totally freaked and made an appt with a new vet that I wanted to try .
She thinks that he had to lay on the table on that eye while they worked on the right side of his mouth and probably got some bacteria in it. She found a few different bacteria in a slide from the fluid from his eye.
he was to get triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment to his L eye for several weeks.

I actually didn't use it for that long as it cleared up almost immediately.
I would take him to the vet just to make sure andbecause opthalmic ointment can sooth a healing eye.
Rudy and Joey had a fight once and Joey nail scratched the corner of Rudy's eye but didn't really hit the eye.

These kind of injuries really frighten me when it comes to bonding.
maybe thats why I am not a confident bonder.
I had an incident where my dog ran into my older cat and caused such terrible blunt force trauma to her eye that she lost her vision.

Very scary!

Yeah, I am probably going to see about taking him to the vet tomorrow just to make sure that everything is healing fine and doing well. I'd also like to know what the vet thinks about it, and see if he can take a closer look at the eyeball itself to make sure there's no scratches.

When I saw the black part on his second eyelid and mistook it for a slice on his eyeball.. oh gosh I just freaked. One of the worst hours of my life, I really thought that he would loose his eye or something scary, or that he would be in pain. I was so close to throwing up not really from the eye, but the face that I thought his eye had been cut.

He still doesn't seem bothered by it.. ;)

Picture096.jpg

I'm always surprised by the black part on the 2nd eyelid and have to think for a moment before I figure out that its normal.

Your bunny looks fine and if his eye was scratched it probably would be running and he couldn't keep his eye open .

its probably just fine but maybe i tend to worry a lot about eyes because of what happened to my cat.

Back