Eye abnormality- iris growing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post, born of concern. We have two amazing mini-lops, twin sisters, just turned 2. Their irises have always been perfectly round, as have the pupils within them, but we've just noticed that on our larger bunny, Strudl, the irises seem to be taking up more room in the eye, and the edges of BOTH her pupils are now uneven, and not perfectly round. This is not the case with the other bunny, Pantera. There seems to be very little information about this online, so we've come here for help. There are no other colours in the eye, no cloudy white which might signify cateracts or some such, no blood, or weeping. Her general appearance is fine, behaviour normal, the pupils seem a little blotchy at the edges.

Does anyone know whether a rabbit's eyes might change like this for a short time? My girlfriend had noticed something different about her appearance these past 10 days or so without being able to put her finger on it, we've only just noticed what the issue was after an inspection. I hope someone will be good enough to give us a few answers. We are of course calling the vet tomorrow and booking an appointment ASAP. In the meantime some idea of what might be going on would really help.

I'm not experienced with this, but maybe you could post some sort of picture(s) of her to give others who would know about this a better idea? Just a thought~

I think i know what you are talking about.. i'm not experienced on it either. Wishing you lots of luck. Would love to know what the vet says, just for future reference :)

Hi guys, sorry I didn't put up pics I might soon. The vet wasn't sure what it was. He said there has definitely been something that has affected the eyes, this would not have happened naturally over time. He said the eyes were clear of things like tumours. Most likely was an infection, e cuniculi, and we have started her on a 28 day medicine for this. We are likely to give her and our other rabbit worming medicine once every three months or so from now on. The symptoms of e cuniculi are very difficult to identify until the rabbit is dead, often they include excess urine, loss of control of limbs or head tilt. Luckily Strudl displays none of these things and is very healthy and happy still. Her sight is apparently unaffected and she feels no pain from this change, she just looks a bit mad!
We are not sure what could have caused this, we are going to give her the medicine and take it day by day, and fingers crossed this will stop there ever being another problem, along with regular (but not too regular) worming medicine.

Latest posts

Back