Extra-sheddy mini-rex

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtipthebun

Reaction score
hi y'all, I've been sort of MIA for the past few months; finished up my Master's degree, went on an awesome vacation to celebrate, and now I'm trying to find a job and move into a new place.

Meanwhile, the Tipster has been doing wonderfully. She's her sweet, snuggly self and has really done better with having my partner move in than I thought she would. She's just got one problem: she fluffs. A lot. It's like every day is the height of molting season. I can pull enough fluff off of her to stuff a small throw pillow EVERY DAY, and then lint roll several more sheets off.

Everything has become situated with a fine layer of very soft, white fluff. Amusingly enough, she never seems to have shed lines or patches with less fluff. She's just a perpetual fluff machine.

Anyone have any experience with mini-rexes who have been like this? I mean, she's always shed,but I feel like she's been a whole lot worse the past 6 months or so. Poor baby hates our fluffing sessions. I really could sit there and fluff her for HOURS and she'd still have loose fur.

I'm going through a big lint roll a week between using it on her and everything she touches, and just getting used to there being bunny fur in my tea. Is there anything I can do to keep the shedding under control? We're about to move and unfortunately, the new place is also carpet, so I'm hoping to get the fluffing under control so I don't have to torment her with vacuuming the house several times a day!

My orange mini rex sheds like crazy, but my black one on occasionally.

I have an extra grooming mitt for my horse that I use on them. It's made of rubber and looks like an oven mitt, but has lots and lots of tiny bumps all over it on both sides. But it's very soft. The rubber really grabs the hair and then you just peel it off the mitt in a clump. They actually seem to enjoy it.

Anyway, that seems to really help my bunnies. I do it a few times a week.

I have shelties and I've found if I brush them a few times a week, it reduces the amount of shed hair tremendously. The same principle applies to bunnies.

Mini Rex people at bunny shows use a horse grooming block. They are cheap and work really well. this one you can find at an ACE hardware that has horse supplies or a TSC

p-78768-61916-horse-supplies.jpg

Thanks. I'll have to check that out. She hates being brushed, but my god, she loves the lintroller. Weird little creature. I wonder how she'd do with the block. I'll see if I can get the lady to pick one up on her route tomorrow.

Back