Extensive Myxo Outbreak in UK

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I will be getting mine done just incase. One of my friends at uni had a littlenetherland dwarf that was housed outside and she just died ofmyxo. I don't want to take the chance of thathappening to them.

Saffy wrote:
I'll ask all around over the next couple of weeks .. thebritish press love to embelish ANY story !

I did read a recent post on another forum from a UK breeder confirmingyour suspicion -- that the reports are exaggerated and the losses willnot be as extensive as indicated.

However, the breeder does know of a number of myxo deaths of petrabbits and of some breeders loosing stock, so there is still reasonfor concern.

Pam

Blast from the past . . .

I'm cleaning out my files and found this Associated Press release from 2003:

Corvallis, Oregon

Participants at the Linn and Benton County Fairs have withdrawn alltheir rabbit entries after a rare, but usually fatal virus killedseveral of the animals.

Veterinarians at the Oregon State University say the animals are dyingof myxomatosis, which is carried by wild rabbits and transmitted bymosquitoes and fleas.

Myxomatosis is a viral disease and is not dangerous tohumans. The symptoms include swelling around the rabbit'seyes, mouth and genitalia, and can include fever, seizures andhemorrahages.

Benton County 4-H Extension leader Tammy Skubinna said childrenparticipating in the rabbit showmanship event at the county fair willuse stuffed bunnies to display their skills. Fair officialsand veterinarians say it's not yet clear whether live rabbits can bedisplayed at the upcoming state fair.

Dr. Donald Mattson who is in charge of animal virology at theuniversity, said the last local outbreak of myxomatosis happened 15years ago.

We don't have access to the vaccine for pet bunshere in Australia :(TheAustralianGovernment has made it illegal for any rabbit ownerto vaccinate
their pet against Myxomatosis.

Eve wrote:
Wedon't have access to the vaccine for pet buns here in Australia:(The AustralianGovernment has made itillegal for any rabbit owner to vaccinate
their pet against Myxomatosis.

I know..it really sucks doesnt it :( My friend has lost about 5 buns over the last few years to Myx.

The only thing we can pretect our buns from here is Calicivirus. Mine are immunised against that.

Lorretta

Latest posts

Back