Explain to me about registration

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SportNCurls

Reaction score
Hi,

I have read the ARBA book, and cannot find what I am looking for. Can someone explain in more detail about registration? I understand that you take the rabbit to a show with a registrar, and it must meet the breed's physical requirements... with no DQ's right?

My questions is this, if it has a record of pedigree, from the breeder,does it's sire and dam have to be registered also.. let me clarify I bought a young doe (who is now 3... oops were did time go?) with a pedigree from a reputable breeder that I met at a show. He reccommended I take her at 6 months to be registered.. for various reasons I didn't get there. Now she might be slightly oversize (not sure will have to weigh her) I have my buck already registered.. so if I mated them, would the offspring be ineligible for registration?

Thanks!

This was on the lionhead email list I'm on a few months ago and it was really well-written. I probably should have emailed Gail Gibbons to get her permission to post it here - so I ask that it NOT be posted all around the internet at this time....and I may try to go through and rewrite it in my own words so we can use it for the library here on Rabbits-Only Forum.

~~~~

To register a rabbit it has to met a set of requirements
FIRST
the rabbit must be an ARBA RECOGNIZED BREED - which Lionheads are not
SECOND and very important it MUST look like the breed to such a degree that it has NO ARBA disqualifications.
THIRD it must have a complete 4 generation pedigree (this counts the rabbit itself so you need parents grandparents and great-grandparents)
Complete means that each animal on the pedigree MUST have
A) a pedigree that shows ONLY ONE BREED OF RABBIT
B) Either a name or an ear number (simply saying Gibbons is NOT enough it must say
Gibbons134orGibbons Jane Doe)

C)
a weight listed. (the rabbits on the pedigree can have weights that are over or under weight for
thebreed. BE CAREFUL because if they are far enough off - say a 7 lb rabbit on a Mini Rex
pedigree the ARBA may reject it by saying that rabbit would be a REX and a different breed)
D) a color listed for every rabbit on the pedigree (again they can be non-recognized colors
BUT they cannot be groups so you could not list "Broken" you would have to list
Broken Black, you could not list "Agouti" you would need to list Chestnut or Chinchilla or
whatever type of Agouti it is, the same goes for "solid" you would have to say what color
solid the rabbit was such as REW or Opal or Blue

FOURTH
the rabbit MUST be over 6 months old

FIFTH
you need to have the rabbit inspected by an ARBA REGISTER. Most folks do that at ARBA shows as it is an ARBA requirement that shows have a register at their events. You can also find one in your area and visit them at their home. Some local clubs sponsor meetings with a register in attendance to register the rabbits of members who attend the meeting. (this is a VERY good idea)

SIXTH
you have to be a current member of the American Rabbits Breeders Assoc. (you can do that at the time of registration by filling out an application and writing a check which the register will then forward on with the registration application)

SEVENTH
pay a fee which is now $5 (I think I know it went up on Jan. 1st someone can correct me if that is incorrect)

To be registered a rabbit doesn't have to have registered parents

To be shown a rabbit doesn't have to be registered.
BUT of the requirements to be issuedGrand Champion status the rabbit has to be registered.

Peg covered the registration part pretty well. I just wanted to point out, since you mentioned weight- that if your rabbit is over weight according to breed standard, that is considered aDQ and will not be registerable.

Also, if your doe is 3 years old and has never been bred before, you may want to re-consider breeding her. Breeding older first-time does is a higher risk. First, it's harder to get them pregnant, as they have often become fat (if not visibly fat, they will have fatty build-ups inside). And secondly, they often have a very hard time giving birth as their pelvis' are less flexible due to having never given birth before.

Changed "Pam" to "Peg" :cool:

Here's the ARBA link on registrations

http://www.arba.net/howtoreg.htm

Also, many registrars will register rabbits from their homes or will also do "registration parties". Some will even come to your home if you have enough rabbits to register and if you pay for gas.

The sire & dam do not need to be registered (or even registerable) for the offspring to be registered.

Pam

If your doe is slightly overweight, before breeding her, try to put her on a diet as an overweight rabbit may have complications from kindling or may not even get pregnant.

Sharon

P.S. If her weight is fine, I would hurry and get her registered as the prices are going up in July.

I believe in July (I will have to go look that up) that the sanction fees, membership fees, and registration fees are increasing. Currently they are $4.00 and they will be going to $6.00.

Sharon

I will go find that info.

I found the info...it is in the Domestic Rabbits issue (jan-feb 2007) page 7. Membership fees are going up to $20 per year or $50 for 3 years. Registrations are going to be $6.00. This all goes into effect on July 1, 2007

Sharon

Thank You all for the replies, Very helpful. We are hoping to make our first open, and 4h shows this fall!

Thanks Again

Latest posts

Back