Exercise for buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stitch&flopsy

Reaction score
Hey! I am here with just a minor problem, looking for some solutions. My bun live in a cage that is at LEAST 20 square feet. They are only in there at night and while I am at work. When ever I am at home they have the run of the whole upstairs of the house. The upstairs is probably 910 square feet total. So my problem is that when ever they have the run of the house(the upstairs) they probably run/binky for 35 minuets total out of the 7 hours at free time. (I get home at three and go to bed at 10:00 to10:30ish.) but as soon as I go to lock them in there area they get hyper . By hyper I mean a little burst of energy and then if I let them stay out for ten more minuets they're already asleep again. Is it just that they don't like being locked up? Or is it that they don't get enough energy, if so how can I get them to exercise more? Thank you!:) ;)

You don't have anything to worry about. Bunnies exercise themselves as much as they need to, and 7 hours of free time daily is more than enough. Getting hyper just as you go to lock them up is just their way of protesting you taking away their "freedom", just like kids not wanting to go to bed!

Your buns have plenty of space as well as time out for their exercise. Some buns are more active than others. My two girls never stop moving when they are out and they keep themselves as busy as possible while in their cage. My male spends a lot less time exercising, he spends most of his time lazing about.

If having them go a little crazy when you first put them away for the night disturbs you getting to sleep then you could just put them away a little earlier. A little less time out will not hurt them especially since it appears they have ample cage space and since they spend so much of their time laying around for them they must be getting enough exercise. They'll adjust.

Latest posts

Back