excessive? shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikamc

Reaction score
My spayed female flemish giant who is a little over a year old is shedding TONS! Its been forever and a day since I owned a bunny and I don't remember my old bunny shedding like this. Is this normal for this time of year (mid atlantic region) Its not to the point where she has bald or even thinning patches, although how she's not bald I dont know! If this is normal, how long will it last?

erika and toast newark DE usa

some rabbits have HARD sheds. increase her protein intake to help her cope and brush her out frequently. most hard sheds last about a week to three.

We used to have two Flemish Giants - a male and a female. The female would go into a molt two or three times a year. She would barely be finished with one before she would go into another one. Seemed like she was always shedding her fur. Our male only did it twice a year. We asked our rabbit savvy vet about these molts and she said that anything can trigger them - they don't shed like dogs do (according to season typically). Stress can bring them on, or even another rabbit molting can bring on a molt. That has happened with our three rabbits we have now - when one molts, the other two seem to go into a molt as well. It's the most bizarre thing. Just keep brushing her as much as possible, remove the excess fur from her living space, and if you see her poos start coming out as being strung together (they call this strings-of-pearls), you will want to keep a watch on her to make sure that she doesn't get any kind of fur blockage. Also, make sure she has plenty of hay because that will help keep things moving.

I don't notice our rexes shedding at all. However, our lop mix did a LOT. Our real bunny left "dust bunnies" as I always said. She seemed to shed according to season. In the fall, she would shed and grow in a longer coat. In the spring, she'd shed a LOT and it made me nervous, I would think she was loosing hair, only to realize she grew a SHORTER coat underneath. She looked like she had "bald" patches until her coat was even.

Latest posts

Back