excessive shedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ani-lover

Reaction score
i have brushed thumper, bathed him, etc and he's getting fur all over everything. he lives indoors and i don't understand why so much hair is coming off of him.
what can i do about it and does anyone else have this problem?

You can try a Furminator. It is expensive, but gets the fur out really well.
Some rabbits just shed a lot no matter what. Korr sheds like it is going out of style.

i have a furminator and used that quite a bit everytime i brush him i can almost make another rabbit

You could try plucking the fur that will come out. Watch for bald spots though. You will be able to get more fur and should notice a difference. I find lots of pluckable fur on the legs and the back of the butt near the tail. The belly does tend to not get brushed enough and sheds too.

hmm... Diggs seems to shed for at least a month and get excessive hair all around as well! I think it's normal. He just has so much fur it takes time for it to re-grow. I just try to brush & pet him as much as possible, and grab the hair that comes out. I sometimes brush one of those sticky rollers along his back & sides, it grabs the loose hairs & its kind of fun! I'd like to find a Furminator!

Flops is shedding like crazy right now too!

I keep getting rabbit fur in my eyes !
LOL

I read that they molt in the spring and fall and it is almost fall so that's probably why.

I would say just keep helping him out by brushing him and getting the loose hair out until he stops shedding.

Ani-lover: Thats too funny, I can totally understand that seeing how much loose fur I keep pulling off of flops!

thanks for the replies. i guess i am just going to have to wait it out and keep on bathing and brushing and furminating.
i was one of the first ones to start the furminator use on the forum. i love my furminator.

Kyla: there are some sites you can order off of if you want me to post them for you. they're a bit pricey but work very well.

My buns are shedding up a storm here - I found out my vet sells the Furminator so I bought one 3 days ago and WOW!
It really gets the fur out!

I do not mean to be rude at all. Just want to give y'all the termage for the 'shedding". There are two types, which some folks just don't recognize. I didn't even get it totally until I started seeing different breeds, it's so confusing.;)

Okay, beginning and end of seasons will cause normal "shedding"alot of times which is all over the animal.In between and getting ready for Summer and Winter may cause "Molting", which is how you see the lines in the fur are way deeper, and the lines are very dignant.

When they molt, I believe that they get to be easily aggitated too. Moody.

When they molt, you can simply pull clumps of hair off them by section when they don't even know it if they're close to the edge of their cage (Snuff hangs his butt out his cage, hee.) That's what I do, and he likes it. Just move down the curve of the molt and pull hair out.

When shedding, a breezy day is great! Here's what you do...take bunny out, rub bunny vigorously all around, watch the fur fly! HaHa! It will too!:D Both methods work better than any brush!:grumpy::rollseyes

oh angelnsnuffy you aren't being rude at all.
you are just spreading your knowledge to others.

i learned about the two types many years ago and thats why i posted the topic as shedding lol.
it's very interesting and i agree not many people know that there are two types.

lol on a breezy day the fur flies all over me and then thumpie brat bunny will bite me and run away binkying and doing bunny 500s adorable:)

About once a year, rabbits shed both their upper and lower coats. Try using a flea comb and comb him in the opposite direction (back to front), but use very short strokes. This will remove more fur than a brush and will not hurt him at all.

I hate shedding :(. We have had to turn our A/C up to kick on when it reaches 80 degrees in the house from the 74 it was set at before...and now the rabbit hair is every where right now! Morgan free ranges in the animal room...so his hair is coated on the carpet, haha.

I bought what is called a "shedding blade" recently. The small one for cats. It works pretty good for getting the hair out, and Whiskers doesn't seem to mind.

Back