Excessive Itching

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky D

Reaction score
Hello. My Holland Lop is constantly itching himself just like a dog when it has fleas. I know he doesn't have fleas, and the vet looked at his skin and didn't mention anything (like mites). He doesn't go outside or have contact with other animals. Could it be nerves or boredom? Many times a day he flops over on his side in the totally relaxed sleep.

Hello. My Holland Lop is constantly itching himself just like a dog when it has fleas. I know he doesn't have fleas, and the vet looked at his skin and didn't mention anything (like mites). He doesn't go outside or have contact with other animals. Could it be nerves or boredom? Many times a day he flops over on his side in the totally relaxed sleep.
p.s. I just read about grain mites and hay mites! Maybe this is his problem? How could I find out?

P.S. I just read about grain mites and hay mites! Could this be his problem? How could I find out? He gets Timothy Hay and Orchard Grass.

By itching himself, do you mean scratching himself with his hind feet? Does it seem like an unusually excessive amount? Where exactly does he seem to be scratching at, does it seem to be consistently in one spot like around the base of his ears? Are you finding any signs of flea dirt or skin irritation, or does his skin look normal?

Thanks for replying! He acts like he's "biting" all over with his mouth...not just in one spot. It seems excessive to me. I've examined his skin in several places...no redness or flaking.

Back