Excessive Honking at Dinner Time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumbleduck

Reaction score
Hello guys, Grumbleduck and Pixie again!

For those who know the story of Pixie you'll know he's incredibly bizarre. However, he's always honked and been very territorial (he's not had the snip). Though I wanted to share with you this behaviour. He would become impatient and 'bink' around his bowl in the past but it has increased to snatching and tugging at the bowl. Is this normal?

https://www.facebook.com/raggamuffin01/videos/10155964819900627/?pnref=story

He's shown no form of aggression to me or any family member at all and has a beautiful temperament and will let you groom him, pet him, everything. Soon as you take him out of the cage he will begin to give an uncountable amount of kisses. He's just like this with his bowl.

Last edited:
Hmm, that's weird. I just watched the video, OMG! :p Here's an idea, you could try setting his food on the ground of his cage instead of in a bowl and see if he responds differently. I'm not sure if this is helpful...:p

Butterscotch likes to grab the edge of his bowl and run away with it, or he'll grab the edge of the food can and try to take it away with him. He's also intact, so I dunno... I just thought Butterscotch was trying to be cute. My girls, Ellie and Pippi, don't do that so it must be a guy thing. Lol

Hmm, that's weird. I just watched the video, OMG! :p Here's an idea, you could try setting his food on the ground of his cage instead of in a bowl and see if he responds differently. I'm not sure if this is helpful...:p

I will often put the food down for him on the ground, as he tends to grab the bowl and throw it around until all the food is out of it but he still makes this incredibly over dramatized performance each time! I will often go in with the bowl to save my fingertips from any accidental nipping. As a bunny owner, I am sure we all know as much as we want our rabbits cage to look beautiful and clean, our little furry companions think differently! Haha..

Pippi also likes dumping her food bowl afterwards. I figure as much as I want things to stay tidy, she doesn't care and will eat off the floor. Lol. Rabbits... such strange creatures, but my dog used to dump his food too... so maybe we're the weird ones. ;-)

Pippi also likes dumping her food bowl afterwards. I figure as much as I want things to stay tidy, she doesn't care and will eat off the floor. Lol. Rabbits... such strange creatures, but my dog used to dump his food too... so maybe we're the weird ones. ;-)

I'm not sure how my partner would react if I suddenly decide to dump tonight's dinner on the floor, but I am sure our bun would agree! Haha.

Leo would do the same thing! Perhaps he doesn't the the sound the food makes in the bowl? I know Leo didn't like reaching over the edge of the bowl go get his food so he would tip it over. I now use small little plates for his pellets and no issues!

For those who know the story of Pixie you'll know he's incredibly bizarre. However, he's always honked and been very territorial (he's not had the snip). Though I wanted to share with you this behaviour. He would become impatient and 'bink' around his bowl in the past but it has increased to snatching and tugging at the bowl. Is this normal?

....(later) he will begin to give an uncountable amount of kisses.

Can't wait for his food? Grabs the dish? Grunts and honks? Later smothers you with kisses of gratitude? My ex husband used to do the exact same thing when I made cookies. Seems normal to me!

If it's treat or veggie time, Cosmo will bang all of his bowls around--he live to eat. Lilli (gone now) was a really large lop and she' run around the room "Honking" as she really got excited for veggies and treats too. Not all are like that. Bambi, our little Mini Rex will slobber when it's treat time and I usually get a couple of fingers wet. Some are just strange and others even stranger.

So many fantastic comments and stories, thank you for sharing! :)

@hamsterdance - I have noticed Pixie doesn't enjoy leaning over the bowl and will often tip it over to access the food. I may start trying small plates for him to see if it changes this behaviour. Perhaps he just doesn't like the bowl?

@Whiterabbitrage - This is absolutely priceless! :D

Hi - my bunny did like to throw around his dish too so I got him a bowl that attaches higher up to the side of his cage and now he just shoves his face in at dinner time! :happybunny: The throwing things around habit just seems to be out of excitement and a supreme needs to eat RIGHT away. Pellets = the love of Loki's life. :eats:

Latest posts

Back