excess gas in intestinal tract and bladder sludge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that is a lot of protein in all those alfalfa products. I wasn't sure how young your bunny is, but at 2 years she doesn't need alfalfa hay anymore. I would think that protein in the urine would be a result of problems in kidney function, not a dietary issue. Adult bunnies of around 5lb should have 1-2 tablespoons of pellets a day, maybe up to 1/4c of pellets, but that's a bit much. I would say 1 tablespoon as an absolute minimum, personally.

I was recommending the alfalfa hay because my guys love it and it might be a way to get her to eat hay, if you mixed them together. I only give a pinch at a time, though. Perhaps if you cut down the pellets she will eat more hay? That happened with my two, but it sounds as if even when she doesn't get pellets she won't eat hay.

Since she used to love her hay, it's strange that she won't eat it anymore. Did the vet check her teeth for spurs? How is her GI tract today?

I think the alfalfa blocks are ok for now.

i gave her the mix and she drank about...5 or 6 shots of it, so that's good. i was afraid she wouldn't take it. when i put the timothy hay in front of her she ate a little bit, but not much. and i haven't been giving her pellets since she got back on friday, but she still won't eat her hay, she just goes back to those alfalfa blocks. i don't think they checked for teeth spurs but i'm not really sure? oh and what's a GI tract?

Oh sorry, GI tract is short for gastro-intestinal. Like her stomach/intestines/guts. To check for tooth spurs they look in the mouth with a tool. The teeth that get spurs are farther back in the cheeks, not the ones that you can see without tools.

the GI tract seems to be doing ok. she is however having the stringy poops. the ones that are all connected? i just gave her another round of the critical care stuff. but how long am i supposed to give it to her before it actually works?

and thanks everyone, espeically tony, for being so patient with all my questions and concerns. the vet definitely isn't really telling me anything, and i've learned so much from this forum! i'm just worried about my baby because this is the first time she's ever been sick.

I haven't read through this whole post, but Critical Care is given in lieu of their normal diet when they're not eating and the output (poop/pee) is down. When her appetite is back to normal and she has regular sized poops, it should be no longer needed. Regular diets with hay and veggies are preferable.

Are you brushing her fur? I sit with a bowl of water and some paper towels and wet my hands and 'pet' the excess hair off.

Hope she's okay.

sas :bunnydance:

Yeah, I'd stop the critical care when she'll eat on her own, particularly until she starts eating pellets again on her own. With the stringy poops, it's still important to get a lot of water into her, and brushing her coat should help as well. But the fact that the stringy poops are coming out is good! That means things are moving again. I think that what may have happened is she was feeling bad because of the sludge, combined with all the fur in her belly from grooming herself while she's molting led to a gut slowdown. She's coming out of it so that's good. :bunnydance: It will be important to keep her hydrated in the future, both for gut function and to reduce the chance of getting bladder sludge again.

Back