excess cecils(sp)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massie777

Reaction score
I just started this week letting one of my rescue bunnies out in the yard to eat grass and get some exercise. But i have been noticing the past two days that he has been having an over abundance of cecil poops. They are the little ones that are all bunched together, he is not eating them and they are all over the ground. He just keeps stepping on the and squishing them. What can cause this and do you think it will stop over time? i am feeding him the same amount as always the only new thing is eating grass. thanks for any info

Excessive cecals are usually the result of diet....something changed too quickly or one too high in protein. I would suspect the grass might be the culprit here. And changes in diet should be in small amounts over a period of time. I would probably restrict his access to the grass to very small amounts and allow his system time to acclimate.

Randy

Also, pellets can frequently contribute to excess cecals. What is he eating and how much, and how old is he?

he is almost a year old, is an english spot mix that is around 7-8 pounds. i just bonded him with a lionhead female and have had them living in a pen on the grass for about 2 days because it is neutral for both of them. He is eating the same amount of pellets which is around 1/2 cup but i think it might be the grass that is doing it to him.
You don't think it could be Coccidia right? usually they just have diarrhea with that i think. i am going tomarrow to move them both to a cage so he doesn't have access to grass anymore.

It would be best to get them off the grass and feed unlinited timothy and other grass hays , cut back on pellets. until the poops are normal againToo much grass can cause GI disturbance. You may want to also get a probiotic like benebac to reestablish the microorganisms in the gut.

Latest posts

Back