Excess cecals with Cuddles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Ok...I'm kinda thrown for a loop...or it could just be that it's our bun this time with excess cecals, so I find myself kinda lacking in figuring out how to handle it.

This morning, I went to check on Cuddles, and found LOTS of excess cecals in her cage...most mushed because she'd stepped in them...but we're talking about six separate groups of them.

So, here's what's going on with Cuddles:

She's a mini-rex, about three months of age, I'd estimate almost 3lbs, been home since Tuesday the 18th December. We've been giving her mostly oats, with a gradual addition of Oxbow 15/23 pellets, as we couldn't get her previous food from her prev. owner. So, we've been doing this gradually...and right now, she gets maybe 1/4c total of the alfalfa pellets added to her oats...the total of food (oats & pellets combined) being about 1c daily (as I was operating under normal young bun procedure of giving freefed pellets until done with growing).

Here's the catch: She's had a tendency of eating all the oats and leaving the pellets. Thus, I haven't had to add any pellets to the oats for a few days, as she's not really eating much of them. It's evident that she's eating SOME of them...but definitely not all.

So, I'm kinda not sure how to proceed. I feel a little lost. Having so many, I wonder if she'd eaten all the oats last night (as there were NONE when I found the cecals), and only had pellets...so it could be that she ate only pellets last night. Could that have caused the problem?

Is there something different about mini-rexes in this that I'm not aware of? Do they process protein differently? Given that they're so small, is she close enough to finishing growing that she maybe needs to switch (slowly, obviously) to Timothy pellets? (We give Oxbow Bunny Basics T Timothy pellets.)

What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

Rosie*

P.S. Concerning Velveteen (Cuddles' half-brother, as they share a father, but have different mothers): his poops are completely normal and healthy. He also, though, seems to be eating ALL the food (oats & pellets both), and not just eating the oats, and having just pellets left.

P.P.S. These are my first mini-rexes, so there could very well be things I just don't know/understand about the breed going on here...

Edite to add: We've given her NOTHING but the pellet food & oats & LOADS of hay since she came home. I'm going to take her pellets & oats out until I hear back in this thread, as I've been reading that carbs & high protein might be the problem here (oats = carbs, pellets = high protein). I figure it can't hurt to ONLY have her on the hay for now.

Rosie, your last comment is exactly what I'd do:). Remove pellets and don't give any more oats and only feed hay. Good thinking!:D Just one question, and sorry if I missed it in the post, but why are you feeding them oats? I'm sure you know that if given plenty of oats over time will cause a bit of chubby butt;).

I'd take away all the oats and pellets (like you said) and just give her timothy hay for now. I'd wait a day or two to see if her droppings return to normal. I might also give her some probiotics, what ever you use... her gut is unbalanced and you need to get it back in sync.... As soon as you think things are normal, start adding pellets (I'd cut out the oats now.) a few teaspoons at a time. I know why you were feeding the oats, but it may be time to cut it out now. She seems to be growing up now and I think she doesn't need it. (Yeah, they grow up a LOT faster than the Flemish!)

Why are you feeding oats? Just take away the pellets and oats, then give her timothy hay. After a couple of days I would give her 1/8 cup of oxbow pellets with the hay and see how she does.

Someone mentioned that oats can actually cause an imbalance of something in their gut and cause problems.

**I just read your post BlueGiants! lol - guess I'm getting better at this stuff! :) **

Yup, I would limit her diet to just hay as well.

Introduce the pellets slowly after a couple days. If you start seeing too many cecals again, cut back on the pellets until they stop.

If you have more than one type of hay, you can give her a variety of hay.

--Dawn

Thanks so much, guys!

Ok...so she'll be on hay until I see things return to normal...and if it's a couple days from now, and she's still got excess cecals, then I should worry?

Question: Do probiotics = benebac? If so, how much should I give her, do you think? Are they something to give NOW, or should I wait to see if her gut doesn't restabilize?

I was giving her oats because I couldn't get the same food the lady, Laura, had her on...and I thought I was told to start her off on some oats the first couple of days, then slowly introduce the pellet food. Maybe that was advice JUST for Teeny?

Ok...I'm going to cut oats for both...think that's good, if Velveteen's gut is totally fine?

So, no more oats for Cuddles...and only hay (and water) for a few days until I see things balance out and return to normal...then a slow introduction of pellets only. Ok...good...

Thank you!

Rosie*

I've had them on straight hay for as long as 6 days with no problems. Then gradually re-introduced the pellets. Very gradually...

The oats were fine to start her off with, especially since you had to change feeds...but if she is having issues, it's time to cut them back. She may need to be switched over to the Oxbow. (You can cut Velveteen back too... the oats were only supposed to be for the first 2 weeks...)

The Benebac works great. It won't hurt her and I prefer to givea Probioticas soon as I see a problem. I'll give it once a day for 2 days with a little watered down pumpkin in a feeding syringe. Dosage based on weight. (I use ProBac from the Rabbit Medicine Chest, same stuff, but youshould go bythe Benebac instructions). After 2 days I wait and see it everything re-adjusts itself.

Did she get stressed by anything? Anything change around her cage or room?

We've had this same issue with Pumpkin forever (she's also a mini-rex, at least partially). When she starts to have these "spells", we go to hay and water....and always feel really bad, even tho we know it's best for her. She just loves her treats and pellets sooooo much that we feel like we're being mean when we cut back. She's soooooo got my number, that little sweetie! Anyway, Rosie, I'd definitely try the hay and water only diet for a couple of days and see if it clears. Hope everyone else is doing well....Grace

To answer your question, Cathy: nope, no changes in her environment. She was initially in a carrier when she first got here (I believe for three nights, with how Danny's getting paid happened), but she's been in her cage since Saturday night...so no change other than that. Given that it's been a few days since her move into her cage, that can't be it, right?

Either way, she's on her straight hay right now. And LOTS of it, too! :)

I'm going to check on her and give ya'll a progress update in a moment.

Hugs!

Rosie*

Edited to add: Cuddles' poops are nice, and light brown, and nice and dry...so I think I'll give her another day on the Just Hay Diet to be sure, and then slowly reintroduce her pellets, as in 10 pellets to start for a few days, then add maybe five at a time every few days...smaller body indicates an even slower introduction of things, I've figured out with this experience. Is that gradually enough?

Cathy...you said you recommended maybe switching her to Oxbow. They all get Oxbow (Teeny, Velveteen, and Cuddles get the 15/23 alfalfa pellet, while the rest of the buns get Bunny Basics T Timothy pellets)...did you mean maybe switching her to the Timothy pellets?

IT could be the cage... she was in the carrier and got moved to the cage. After 3-4 days, she may have just decided "OH! I'm staying here!". She may just be adjusting. Either way the hay won't hurt in any case.

BlueGiants wrote:
IT could be the cage... she was in the carrier and got moved to the cage. After 3-4 days, she may have just decided "OH! I'm staying here!". She may just be adjusting. Either way the hay won't hurt in any case.
Okay, gotcha.

I've edited my above thread with a couple more questions and an update on how she's doing.

Thank you SO MUCH for all your help! :D (And that thanks is to everyone...:D)

maherwoman wrote:
Cathy...you said you recommended maybe switching her to Oxbow. They all get Oxbow (Teeny, Velveteen, and Cuddles get the 15/23 alfalfa pellet, while the rest of the buns get Bunny Basics T Timothy pellets)...did you mean maybe switching her to the Timothy pellets?
SO glad to hear the hay cleared it up! WONDERFUL! Yes, I'd start her on the Timothy based pellets when you start her up again... I'd give her two teaspoons of pellets to start and make sure there are no set-backs....

Okay, cool beans. Think it'll hurt if I wait a couple more days? I just want to be SURE that she's got a settled gut...

Tell ya what, though...no more oats for that little cutie!

Another question: Velveteen's poops are just fine for now, and he's noticeably smaller...is he okay being on the 15/23 pellets for a bit longer? Or should I start on switching him to Timothy, too?

I'd switch them over one at a time. No sense doubling your chances of trouble. Get Cuddles all settled in her new diet, then switch over Velveteen. I think it would be easier on you.

Latest posts

Back